Hi, I am a smoker, and my children seem to be too sensitive to cigarette smoke. My younger son has asthma and I thought that his breathing problems are due to the illness. But, if I smoke inside his condition gets worse. Is it allergy to cigarette smoke or perhahs children are more sensitive to toxic ingredients of smoke?

Indeed, cigarette smoke contains many toxic chemicals and irritants. Children have undeveloped immune system so they can become allergic to many things. If your child already has an allergy, he will be more sensitive to cigarette smoke. You should stop smoking inside completely, because your child already has breathing problems and asthma. Smoke additionally irritates his respiratory tract and makes breathing more difficult. Even, researches justified that children and spouses of smokers develop more respiratory infections and asthma than people living in non-smokers surrounding. It also increases the risk of other complications like sinusitis and bronchitis.

i can't believe you smoke cigarettes in the room with your asthmatic child!!!!!!!!!!

Of course they are sensitive to smoke, most children are bothered by smoke, they sound like normal kids, with or without asthma, how can you be so cruel to them??
I suffered this same type of abuse from my mother, her smoking although it made me ill with chest infections all the time, and as a result I still have respiratory problems even though I have never smoked myself. No child should be made to breathe second hand smoke, how about actually quitting or is satisfying your addiction more important than your kids' health? How sad it is for your poor children that you are so selfish, maybe you should not have had children if you were not willing to quit.

Is it possible to have a break out on your skin from cigarette smoke, I've started breaking out with a horrible rash lately, I've tried changing almost everything in my environment, the only thing I can think is that I have had a different window open lately, and I've been smelling cigarette smoke smell, some one is probably smoking and it's coming in through this window... Is it possible to have your skin break out from cigarette smoke?

I think you should check out the new electronic cigarette. It has no tobacco, no tar, none of the 4000 chemicals, no carcinigens, no second hand smoke! I got one in Sept. '08, they are great, they look just like a cigarette, and you smoke it like a cigarette. It's a smokeless cigarette that just puts off a water vapor and contains nicotine only, so you don't get the nicotine withdrawals. The other great thing is you can choose levels of nicotine from high to zero, so it would be a good way to wean yourself off nicotine if you wanted. But these shouldn't cause any problems for your children and you can smoke them anywhere. I got mine free (with the purchase of cartridges) from **edited by moderator**, look for the "right choice program" and the nicotine cartridges cost less than half what you pay for regular cigarettes.. They also sell them on ebay. Hope this was helpful.

Yup, cigarette smoke allergies are actually very common. What most people don't know is that continued exposure worsens the allergy. A child may initially exhibit difficulty breathing and catch frequent infections, then in the future experience muscle spasms and even heart problems.

Please quit so that your children won't get sicker. Good luck.

my son smokes in the garage, he comes in the house and he smells of nicotine. my eyes have been burning and the smell of nicotine actually makes me sick. i smell it for days my nose burns and i can actually smell nicotine on my hands, no matter how much i wash them.........help

It's possible to have many different unpleasant reactions due to breathing in second hand smoke. I have a very sensitive system and have been inhaling my neighbour's SHS for 3 months. It comes in my window and when he's smoking I experience about 20 different physical reactions...prickly skin, irritated respiratory tract, burning eyes, muscle cramps, cough, it goes on and on. Please don't smoke inside with ANYONE around! I always say that if anyone wants to know if a product/food has toxins in it just give it to me and my body will react if there's anything toxic...this speaks volumes about what Public Health Agencies are telling us...second hand smoke is extremely hard on the body! Sorry smokers but my body tells it like it really is!

Maybe you should not inflict child abuse upon your poor children, especially your son! How selfish; your children and their well- being should ALWAYS come first!

Shut up ninny

If I go in to a home or place where people are smoking I get a rash on my chest and face. It took me a long time 3 years to narrow down the cause. After thousand of dollars on testing,special diets and water systems.......it is cigarette smoke. I am not a smoker, but have to be around it at times. Just kinda sad!! Only things I have found that help is shower as soon as possible, some burn cream helps settle it down, and benadryl also helps some. No big miracles other than if I stay away from smoke, rash goes away in a few weeks.

both of my arms top and bottom are full of a rash - been there for 4 weeks now. thought it was rash from radiation but dr said no because I wasn't shot near my arms just my left lung. Upon reading this I'm thinking I'm allergic to smoke also. We rearranged our living room and the couch is next to our porch window - neighbors and our daughter sit outside and smoke - think I'm on to something.

The second hand smoke is more damaging to the children than it is to you. Myself & three sibling have parents that smoked growing up & back then they didn't believe in second hand smoke. It didn't matter that we went to school smelling like smoke or how many times we begged them to stop--or at the very least not smoke inside the house or the car. They didn't & didn't believe in it. Nor did they believe in even opening windows at home or even in the car.
We always had a lot of mucus, like when you have a bad cold, except all the time. It was so embarrassing. Our teachers would ask us if we smoked! We are all grown now & only one of us ended up being a smoker which I hate but glad it wasn't more. They say if you grow up with parents that smoke, you have a greater chance of becoming a smoker yourself. My brother and I still have symptoms from it and it's horrible to live with. I actually have been told I'm allergic to smoke & have COPD. I have never smoked a day in my life. I'm sharing this bc it sounds like you may be a young mother, & if not I don't wish to offend, I merely want to share my experience from a child of parents who smoked. If your son has asthma, either as a health issue from birth or from being around the smoke, it's going to make it so much worse. Breathing treatments, inhalers, and more. I cannot pretend to know how hard it is to stop smoking, but it is hard to watch your parent have a bad habit that you know is killing them a little more with each cigarette. I mentioned my parents didn't believe in second hand smoke & my dad especially didn't believe that the smoking was that bad. Of course that was a while back, but 5 yrs ago when he got the news that it really was bad for him, it was too late. Two months later he died. My mother still smokes to this day. Last month she went into the hospital & they told her she cannot smoke ever again bc it will kill her. Three weeks in hospital & without a cigarette, she was scared enough of dying she didn't smoke at all....A month and a half and just four days ago on my sons birthday we discovered she started again. I don't want you to die too soon. Your children need you & you need them too...lots of life to live. Please just try for both of you. My husband died two years ago bc he was an alcoholic. We were separated bc of it, but they were 10 & 13 at the time and too young to lose a parent bc of a bad habit that was too hard to fight...He should be here to watch them grow up & be their father. When we have kids the bad habit becomes theirs too & everybody wins if you focus not in what you are giving up, but what you are gaining. I pray that you & your family are happy & healthy.

Stop smoking around kids...geez. You would think being the parent you would know that!!!