I know how you feel and there are many people out there like us in the same situation. I was surprised. I thought I was going nuts too. Right now I'm gathering as much information I can find from different cases like yourself. I feel that when I go to the Dr. if I do not have any documentation, He'll refer me to a therapist. But we are not alone.
I started to smell smoke this June. Then it dissapeared for a few weeks. Now it started up again. I am tracking what I eat or what I do. I can't really say that I do anything out of the ordinary. Except for 1 thing.
I have been taking Paxil for stess for quite a few years. I started with 20 mg and have dropped to 5mg a day. Recently I started to take 5 mg every other day and try to eventually eliminate it. Shortly after I cut the dosage , the smell smoke went away. I was shocked. I never really gave it much thought until recently. However, this type of medication is difficult to quit and last week , due to some ''issues'', I went back to 5mg a day. Guess what? the smoke smell is back. Recently I read that Seratonin levels may influence our condition. Can't find the articale again. Anyway, I'm going to try and cut down on Paxil again and see what happens. I'm still going to see the Dr. but I want to be sure if this may be the cause.
By the way, my dentist last week did a panoramic x-ray and said my sinuses were clear. I've also noticed that my eyes burn or start burning on the onset of the smell. Hope this is of some interest to you and hope that we eventually can get healthy again. By the way, I don't smoke.

I started on Paxil about 3 weeks ago and have started feeling like I am breathing in or smelling smoke. Your article makes me believe it is a side effect of the Paxil. Time to quit this drug...

I noticed I lost my sense of smell while on Paxil and had strange cross associations for things that I thought I smelled.

then about 2 months ago, I decided to stop paxil cold from 37.5 per day to 0 in one step. About a month out I started smelling smoke or burning plastic really bad. It got so intense it was like it was burning my nose when I took a breath in. Alot like someon just burning a peice of plastic right under my nose.

I just went back on Paxil again at 12.5 per day and the smoke smell went away in the first 3 days of taking it.

but my wife said that when I used to take Paxil, I had a very bad Metalic smell to my breath, while off of it, no bad breath, now backon and the breath is back.