Tuesday,September 9, 2008

I smell smoke ALL THE TIME. Most of the time it smells like cigarettes and sometime it smells like somethings burning. By the way I don't smoke neither does anyone in my home. As you can imagine this is very annoying. I find myself always walking around the house sniffing and asking everyone " do you smell smoke"? And of course they say NO. Also I sometimes ride the bus into work and while sitting there looking out the window I smell smoke, it smells like someone is smoking a cigarette, but they not. Does anyone know what this means? Is there some significance to this? Am I alone here or are there others out there who constantly smells smoke?

I smell smoke all the time too - more of a cigar smell. Its worse when I'm stressed, not sure what that means. But it got irritating and started to worry me so I went to my Dr and I just had a CT scan done, waiting for results..

Did you get the results? I smell smoke all the time too. And no one around me smokes. It is also much worse when I'm stressed. I actually feel like I can hardly breathe and am in desperate need of a breath of clean, fresh air sometimes. I seriously feel like a wack job. Has anyone gotten to the bottom of this?

I am going through the same thing and it's probably an alergy or you are having an alergic reaction. If it were a tumor you would most likely have other symptoms such as vomiting, vision problems and extremely bad headaches. Don't freak out. Go to a doctor.

I have been experiencing the same thing, constantly complaining that someone is smoking nearby but no one is. Recently have had numerous sinus infections but thought they were gone. I take .5 mgs. of Zyrtek every day for allergies, do any of you? Thought it could be the medication. I am usually a great cook but no longer have a good enough sense of smell.... The smell of smoke never goes away but does get worse a few times throughout the day and night.

Has anyone found an answer?

this problem has just recently started! its driving me insane and i cant seem to understand it! i live with my husband and 1 year old my husband and i dont smoke at all though we do live in apartments but we have no neighbors around us at the moment. even if we did i wouldnt be smelling this and my husband thinks ive gone off the deep end because he never smells anything! i cant take this i have the same thing someone wrote previously where i feel like i need a breath of fresh air but i cant ever get it...it smells like cigarette smoke constantly! i have no bad allergies, none flaring right now at all.

O.K., i'm relieved to know that others are experiencing the same crazy thing that i've been going through. It started a few months ago, every now & then & usually at the office towards the end of the day, but it has progressively gotten worse, I smell cigarette smoke constantly, at work, at home, in my car, at other peoples homes & even at the foot doctor's office the other day. It is driving me insane & i'm starting to drive co-workers & family, friends crazy too by constantly asking if they smell smoke too? It has even started to give me a headache & makes me nausiated. Please someone, tell me if there is a diagnosis or remedy for this!!!

OMG!!! I'm experiencing the same thing. I was really beginning to freak out because I thought I was losing my mind. I just started smelling cigarette smoke constantly about a month ago. It is driving me insane. Mostly because I absolutely HATE the smell of cigarette smoke. I been traveling around the world for the last year for work and living out of suitcases from hotel to hotel. At first, I thought someone was playing a cruel joke and purposely smoking and blowing the smoke all over my clothes and through the hotel room vents. I finally realized that no matter where I am now and how many times I shower or wash my clothes, the smell is ALWAYS there. Recently I began to think that maybe it is a sign of some serious health issue. Whatever it is, I NEED help. Has anyone gotten any feedback from the medical community that might explain this phenomenon? PLEASE HELP!

I get this too, and learned on another forum that breathing into your cupped hands can take the smell away for a while. Just make a kind of seal over your mouth and nose with your hands and "re-breathe" your own breath in through your nose a few times. I have no idea why this works but it helps me, sometimes just for a few minutes but sometimes the relief lasts a lot longer. Eventually it always goes away for weeks or months.

I've been going through this for several years, and occasionally check back on the internet for new developments. I use to think it was really bad until I developed some twisted smell a few months ago. I told my son that I was hoping to get the smoke smell back to cover this "new" putrid smell that had taken over. I tried the cup your hand think.......lol UM.........NOOOOOOOOO........... Nothing! Mine has gotten worse over the years, but is easier to live with than in the beginning. I don't chase smells anymore. I use to go outside to check for fire, and many other things. Now I know it's just me. Also, over the years, I have pretty much learned to distinguish between the "real" and the "phantom" smoke. Not always, but most of the time I now know. My sinus's are a problem, too....... I also have bad allergies, so maybe this is a connection?
:-S >;) ?

I don't know if this will work for you or if you have the same feeling I get but when this occurs for me I take a toothbrush with some toothpaste on it & get as far back in my throat until I gag a few times...you can actually feel when the feeling is released. Your eyes will water a bit & your nose will run a bit but it fixes the problem! Let me know if it works for you :-)

I smell cigarette smoke also! I burns my eyes as well. No one smokes in my house. No one else smells smoke. I don't have a sinus infection, and even when I've had one, it does not smell like smoke. My eyes are burning, and I have occasional headaches. My vision is sometimes hazy. My concentration is not great. I take Claritin for seasonal allergies, and Levothyroxine for hypothyroidism. I drink diet sodas and occasionally have burning in my neck. Does anyone else who experiences these symptoms drinking a lot of artificial sweeteners, or take thyroid meds, or allergy meds? We have 2 dogs. I've not ever had allergies from them. Why the smell of smoke and not flowers? Is this a spiritual thing, and why can't others smell it?
Help!
LAL

I'm so glad I googled "why do I always smell smoke" as I thought I had lost my mind. I can also smell cigarette smoke alot of the time, and my eyes also burn from it, even though it is not there. I do have a very bad sinus infection right now and chronic sinus problems with allergies. I have read the infection can make you smell smoke. The antibiotic I am on is barely helping my infection which just seems to keep returning. Anyone have any ideas on how to permanently get rid of this smoke smell??

ok, i take synthroid and have recently been doing weight watchers. i thought if i was burning fat i stored as a smoker, it might manifest in my sense of smell. A long shot but it explained it to me. The thyroid and diet soda connection seems more plausible. its truly annoying and i was hoping it wasnt a precursor to something worse...

Had smoke smell symptom. Took two benadyrl last night before bed and all gone this am. Have had symptom
for a month and driving me mad. No smokers in my family. Apparant allergy. It is spring like weather in east
Texas and a lot of pollen. Good Luck!!