Hi, I am a forty eight years old woman. In my life I had a couple of, in my opinion, serious conditions. The one that still follows me is anxiety. On one occasion, I had my blood pressure taken a moment after I was given a medication. It dropped a lot. Since then I do not enjoy going to the doctor’s office since I know that he will measure my blood pressure. I tried taking it myself at home but I feel the panic and the pressure goes high. You can say that I have phobia of having blood pressure taken. Can you tell me what is going on with me?

Hi, I can only imagine how it must be to suffer from anxiety and have phobia of having blood pressure taken. It is probably very difficult. The only, and also the best, thing that you can do is to pay a visit to the doctor’s office. Tell him about your problems. I am sure that he will discuss this matter with you in the best way for you to understand it. He will probably recommend a psychiatrist for the problem regarding the phobia of having your blood pressure taken. The two conditions that you have can be treated. It is, usually, done with a combination of cognitive-behavioral therapy and medications. I hope that everything turns out the way you want to.