Hello everyone,

My name is Robert and I am 21 years old. I have a good life, basically, but I recently had a chance to talk to this lady psychologist I've met and she told me a lot of stuff about me that I wasn't even aware of. I searched around the internet and I am thinking now that I am suffering from social anxiety disorder, or social phobia. I am not so sure about it though so I would like to ask anyone here if you know what are the signs and symptoms that could clearly show that someone is suffering from this kind of anxiety?

Hello Robert,

Social anxiety (or social phobia) is a hard condition to be dealing with. If you don't figure out that you have it (and most of the people never do until the end of their lives), it is going to make you a really lonely man, and you are most likely to always think that the problem is not you, but everyone around you.

Let's see, relationships are really hard for people with social phobia, you probably always run out of a relationship before they get a chance to hurt you. And having friendships is also hard, you can't really open yourself to anyone, am I right?

I am suffering from social anxiety. I am not making this up, I am actually visiting a psychologist because I figured out that there is something wrong with me but I couldn't figure out what. So I have visited him four times already and on my last visit he told me that I am suffering from social anxiety.

I am unable to make friends, I always run away and I always hurt other people. I can't seem to be able to have a normal relationship, I keep running away from people and sometimes I think that a lonely life in the mountains would be just perfect for me.

I am definitely suffering from social anxiety then.

I was just dating this girl and everything was okay and then all of a sudden I started having problems, attacking her for the things that she hasn't done and I started being possessive. I did a little research on the internet and all of these things are signs of social anxiety, at least this is what I found out. I also have trouble making friends, I am 21 years old and I don't have a single friend, if you want me to be honest. It is very hard, I have suicidal thoughts sometimes as well.

Good day there. You are really young Robert and I am really sorry because this happens to you. There are so many symptoms out there for social phobia. I think that emotional symptoms plays a huge role. Those symptoms usually include anxiety attacks, high levels of fear everywhere and anywhere, nervousness with or without any reason, automatic negative emotional cycles, racing heart - usually faster than it should, blushing, excessive sweating, dry throat and mouth, trembling, and muscle twitches. Those all are possible symptoms of social phobia and you should not ignore any of those symptoms at all. Good luck! 

Hey there. Yes, you are young but I think that you should not be that concerned since this is not that serious condition. Of course, it can bother you because you want to hang out with your friends, but sometimes you can't just do it because this social anxiety disorder bothers you. In this case, you should really seek for help. You should know that cognitive-behavioral therapy for social anxiety has been markedly successful for a lot of the patinets, so I am sure that this can help you as well.Thousands of research studies now indicate that, after the completion of social anxiety-specific CBT, people with social anxiety disorder are changed. Good luck!

Been there, seen that. Trust me my mate. I am 23 years old and I had this problem when I was 22. So I was similar ages as you are now. The only thing that helped me were medications. Social anxiety medication is useful for many, but not all, people with social anxiety disorder and you should know that.. But they were good for me so I can't complain. For social anxiety, research indicates use of the anti-anxiety agents, and (perhaps) certain antidepressants in conjunction with CBT have proven most beneficial. Medication without the use of active, structured cognitive-behavioral therapy has no long-term benefits. You should definitely consult to someone who is a expert for this area.

I think that I don't agree with last two posts. I think that post where guest is telling that you should not be that concerned about this is a mistake. I am not saying that you should freak out about this, but you should definitely be worried because this is the only way to keep this under the control. Also, I have to tell you that pills should be your last option. First, try to find some natural ways to treat it, also you should talk to the doctor and  after this you should talk about pills with him. Pills are not always the solution.