Hi, my friend is pregnant. She never experienced any serious medical conditions in her life. But now it seams that the pregnancy is causing one. She is constantly having a low blood pressure. I did not want to upset her by asking about the details of this condition. That is why I am asking you. What can you tell me about low blood pressure in pregnancy?

Hi, low blood pressure is a normal thing in pregnancy. Your friend's body is changing very fast to become a healthy environment for her baby. Her blood vessels now have to transport more blood. Due to the hormonal influences the blood vessels expand and this causes the blood pressure to drop. You shouldn't worry too much for your friend because her blood pressure will probably return to normal after the child birth. Low blood pressure in pregnancy usually has no consequences, except for occasional dizzy spells. I am sure that your friend's doctor gave her all the necessary advice about her condition. Basically, your friend should try to be as active as possible. Exercises will help her to get the blood vessels tighten and raise the blood pressure. Also, drinking plenty of water is important.