Hello. I am here to ask you a question about my cousin. My question is about Phrenic nerve damage. I promised him I won’t look this up on the internet but I had to. I haven’t seen him in a while and now when I came to my home town again, I hate seeing him like that. He is always nervous. He says that he was suggested to do a surgery but it turned out he has no insurance and he can’t make this surgery in his own town since the doctors there are not specialized for this. So he has to pay a lot more and he cant afford it. I am willing to pay for that surgery and before doing that, I just wanted to ask you how successful is surgery for a Phrenic nerve damage/ injury?

Hello. I’m so sorry to hear that about your cousin. It brings me back to the time when I was a student and the woman who was living in the same building, right next door from us had this type of injury.

I’ve tried helping her and her husband whenever I could. Nothing much, just picking up groceries from time to time or throwing out their garbage. And they would always try to force me into taking their money. Nice people.

I remember that her husband told me that this injury happened to her after she had a vascular surgery.

May I ask how did it happen to your cousin?

Hello. What exactly happened to him? I am very sorry to hear this because I just remembered my aunt. Her phrenic nerve was damaged too and I just can’t remember what exactly was the reason. But I do remember that surgery was very complicated, I think that she was in the operation room for four hours. It was complicated but luckily it was very successful.

I know that this type of injury can happen in several cases. The treatment can be very painful and long term. I think that you should know this.

I wish him all the best! 

I am not 100 % sure how did that happen to him since I wasn’t there when it happened. And he is a bit strange when it comes to his health, he doesn’t like to talk about it, he doesn’t want other people to be involved in it. I don’t know why, but he has always been like that. All I know (and I found out this from our relative) is that he had chest pain for over a month and his condition got worse suddenly so he had a chest surgery. And after that he was diagnosed with pneumonia by mistake, and then they did some more tests and it turned out to be phrenic nerve injury.

Hello all. Stive, I’m not surprised he got mis-diagnosed at all. This condition is very rare and the symptoms of this and pneumonia are pretty much alike.

I just wish that all the doctors could recognize when this condition is severe enough that it requires corrective surgery.

As for your question, when a specialized doctor who has experience in this leads the surgery, everything should be fine. Many patients who had this type of surgery said that had noticed many improvements in both their physical and respiratory function. And they also report that they have less sleeping difficulties that are related to diaphragm paralysis.

Hey there.

Look the injury of the phrenic nerve can impair the ability of the nervous system to regulate breathing. The risk that can happen is associated with chest and neck procedures such as coronary bypass surgery.

I know that in the past treatment options for this were limited to either nonsurgical therapy and even for diaphragm plication. I don’t know is this the same case now.

Patients endured chronic shortness of breath, leak of sleep and lower energy.

But the problem is the rarity of the condition that makes very difficult for patients with this injury to find the treatment :/

Hello. This is very rare condition and a lot of people just don’t know a lot about it because of this situation. I don’t even know are there some symptoms that can help you recognize this damage, injury – whatever. The opinions are different. I remember that I was watching on the TV something about this and I know that people had totally different opinion about this. Someone were saying that the operation is not a good option because it can be very critical, while some of the patients were telling that the only way to “fix” this is the surgery in the combination with medications.

Good day there. My wife’s aunt had this operation a few years ago. It was very complicated surgery. Doctors told her that it is better to use some medications and some quality therapy because she was almost 70 when she had this surgery. But she didn’t want to drink any pills or to try any kind of treatment. She wanted to have a surgery.

After a surgery that lasted for two hours she was in pain. The recovery process was a little bit hard and of course she needed to be treated.

So it is pretty successful if you ask me…