After I have had pain in my foot for some time and when the numbness and brning began I went to the doc and he told me that I have Morton’s neuroma and that my nerve has been damaged. How could have this happened? I know I didn’t go there on time, but at first the pain wasn’t much of a big deal.

Hello! I can explain what neuroma is and how the nerve was damaged. Morton’s neuroma is thickening of nerve tissue in your foot ( neuroma can develop in various parts of the body ). Morton’t usually occurs at the base of the third and fourth toes. It can also occur in other locations in the foot. The thickening, or enlargement, of the nerve that defines a neuroma is the result of compression and irritation of the nerve. This compression creates swelling of the nerve, and it leads to permanent nerve damage.