I have one paralyzed vocal chord & one side of my diaphragm is paralyzed as a result of an anterior laminectomy, a year & a half ago.  The vocal chord was diagnosed shortly after surgery, but the paralyzed diaphragm was just diagnosed about 6 months ago, as a result of increased shortness of breath.  

I'm considering the surgery to tighten the diaphragm, but only if it will relieve my nausea. The surgeon said that he hasn't heard of nausea as a result of this condition, but he didn't dismiss it either.

Has anyone experienced nausea? I was told my stomach has moved into my chest cavity, and my nausea has increased gradually over the last year.  I don't want the surgery if the nausea isn't caused by the paralyzed diaphragm, but it seems to me that it coincides with the diaphragm problem.  has anyone else experienced this?

I have the diaphragm problem, but no nausea, just the shortness of breath when doing anything physical, like just walking up the stairs. They say that mine isn't necessarily paralyzed (results from "sniff test" showed that nerve was moving it somewhat).  I don't know the cause of mine, but have been exploring the surgery.  I have seen 2 surgeons so far and will also be seeing another pulmonologist to hopefully get a better idea of what is going on

I also have a paralyzed diaphram and vocal cord due to lymphoma . Bad shortness of breath.i gag a lot and wake up every day with a nausea headache , they told me the headache is caused by the diaphram because while your sleeping your body is unable to get rid of the carbon dioxide .

I have also been diagnosed with a paralyzed diaphragm due.to.a.phrenic nerve. compression. I.also get naseous sometimes and.I think it's due.to the diaphragmatic paralysis. Search "Dr. Matthew Kaufman" on the Internet to see about having a phrenic nerve repair.

I have been diagnosed with bilateral diaphragmatic paralysis, and have been dealing with the symptoms for more than 2 years. I did experience nausea here and there in the beginning, but it has been getting worse as time passes. I am never able to get a full satisfying deep breath, and on bad days I experience nausea all day. My body wants to yawn, but since I can’t even complete a full yawn, for some reason I start to gag. The biggest issue of all is that the cause is still undetermined. I thought it was due to phrenic nerve damage, so I finally went to Dr. Kaufman as well. My EMG results determined that my phrenic nerve is active. This may sound like positive news to most, but it has put a complete stop to any treatment options.

I was hoping someone else out there might have a similar case where the cause of diaphragmatic paralysis is unknown. Most doctors have little to no experience with this, and many have never even heard of it. I am extremely frustrated, and I feel for all of you who are experiencing something similar.

Any ideas? If so, please email me: tiganitakis@gmailcom

Thank you!

-Toula