My wife has a positive family history for huntington's chorea. We are hopping that we will have baby soon. Because of our age doctor advice us to try with artificial fertilization. While we are doing this we would like to check, if is possible, about huntington's chorea in our child. Can that be done? Should we do that?

You and your wife are the best example of a modern family that considers all possibilities. In your case, genetically checking is the best thing that you can do. With the techniques that now exist you can even prevent huntington's chorea in your children. About all this, I suggest you to talk with your doctor who is doing the fertilization. All those checking can be done without disturbing fertilization procedure.

Hello there Algernon,

I believe that you need to check with your doctor all possible solutions regarding this. Unfortunately Huntington’s disease is hereditary and if it runs in your wife’s family it would be very wise to do everything you can to prevent it. You will need to talk with your doctor about best possible solutions when it comes to artificial fertilization and I believe that your wife will need to be tested for Huntington’s disease if she hadn’t already.

I hope that you will get negative result when she is in question and positive regarding planning of your family. Keep us posted about your further plans and events and I wish you all the best. Good luck.