My father in last few weeks has strange symptoms, which my grandfather has experienced during his Huntington's disease. These symptoms include clumsiness, lack of coordination, short-term memory and mood swings. Is it hereditary disease? What are Huntington's chorea initial symptoms? Which parts of body are affected? Is there any possibility that during my life I do not experience these symptoms?

Huntington's disease includes three categories of symptoms: movement, cognitive and psychiatric. Although they can develop earlier or much later, usually symptoms of Huntington's disease develop between 30-50 years old. The early symptoms include lack of concentration, short-term memory, uncontrollable muscular movements, depression, changes of mood (aggressive or antisocial behavior) and stumbling and clumsiness.

Hello there,

First of all Huntington's disease is an inherited disease and if it runs in your family you should get tested for it.

This condition is causing degeneration of nerve cells in the brain. Huntington's disease has a huge impact on a person's functional abilities and usually results in movement, thinking and psychiatric disorders. Usually symptoms appear at age of 40 or even 50 but if it starts in young age for example at twenties than it is called juvenile Huntington's disease and it progress faster and symptoms are more severe.

There is no cure for Huntington's disease but certain medications can prevent or reduce some of the symptoms. I hope that you will avoid this legacy.