I am wondering about hungtinton's disease – can you get huntington's chorea if noone in your family had it? My friend's older brother, 34 years of age has this condition, but there is no know case of this illness in their family. I heard it is hereditary. Am I missing something here? Or I did not hear well when they tried to explain me?

You heared well, it is hereditary. Gene responsible for huntington's disease is positioned on chromosome 4. It is received from one parent, but that parent does not have to get ill from this. Only when this gene is activated, the illness occurs. The age group affected is around thirties, but unfortunately, there are several cases of little children getting sick from Huntington. It is a serious and sadly, fatal disease.

Hello there malinda,

Unfortunately Huntington’s disease is hereditary and the only way to know for sure should you be worried is to get tested. There is no cure for this condition and sometimes it can be really unpleasant so all the support from the family is needed.

The first symptoms usually occur around 30 and 40 year of life but it is also possible to get it in much younger age and then it is called juvenile Huntington’s disease.

If your husband hasn’t been tested for this condition I strongly recommend that he does it as soon as possible. The chances that your child is going to have it are unlikely if the family connection is too weak.