My twin brother suffers from Huntington's chorea and I have been reading about disease but I am very interesting in possible complications. He suffers predominantly from movement disorder but sometimes expresses and disturbance in thinking, concentration and coordination. Can Huntington affect on vital organs or it affects only on nervous system?

Complications of Huntington's chorea are secondary clinical conditions, symptoms or other various disorders that are initially caused by Huntington's chorea. Common complications include swallowing difficulty, enormous increase in appetite, weight loss, manic-depressive disorders, incontinence choreoathetosis, and chronic brain failure. Many people with Huntington's disease develop depression, and some are at risk of suicide.

Hello there quillan,

Well first of all I would like to say that I am so sorry that your twin brother has been diagnosed with Huntington's chorea. I am sure that roley has given you pretty good answer to your question and that you are satisfied with it. I would just like to add that you need to test yourself as well. Huntington's disease is very serious condition and in most of the cases it is fatal.

Unfortunately this is autoimmune disorder and that means that your brother’s body is attacking healthy cells and tissue, in this case nerves. This can result in various different complications as you can see by yourself. This condition is hereditary and even if you don’t have symptoms you may have the condition. I hope that you don’t. Good luck.

Hello quillan38343 ..I am 45 yr old H.D. woman. I am so sorry for this to happen to your family. no one deserves this. H.D affect everything in in the families that it touches. it is a brain related disease in which the brain cells die off - in the part of the brain that controls muscle movement. in normal brains and bodies all cells die off and regrow, for us the cells that die do not grow back. everything in our bodies is controlled by muscles. hence the terminal illness part. currently there is no cure, but healthy lifestyle exercise is so important, I had the benefit if gene testing early before symptoms. I had testing in 1999, then I became symptomatic in 2009. I wasn't sitting still during this time. I quit drinking, and drugs. became involved with hospital volunteer study groups.so when I was announced as symptomatic it was a part of one of those groups. it most definitely affect both. I have friend s with H.D. who don't look after themselves, and are way worse than they needed to be. in2 years of knowing 3b two know they have or are just about to enter nursing facilities. my children are 23,25 27and 28. 2 know 2 wont ,of the 2 that do 1 isn't 1 is. the one that isn't getting has survivours guilt. how come she didn't get it, and pure relief all in one brain. being forwarned and knowledge is the key to sanity. don't ever forget he is still in there. even when he cant tell you, there is also a delay in what he hears or is on his mind. goodluck Kiera