I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and I stopped my birthcontrol about 6 months ago due to the fact that I couldn't afford it anymore. It was helping to regulate me in my cycle. Anyways since I stopped it I was period free for 4 1/2 months and it was scaring me. Then I had protected sex (after being celibate for almost 2 years (I am 27)) February 26th, 2011 and started my period almost directly afterward. My issue is I am still having it to this day (March 26th, 2011). I am used to not having my period for up to 3 months due to my PCOS but not any longer then that, and then having my cycle for around 3 to 4 days no longer. The blood is dark brown and clotty with sometimes a spotting of fresh red blood. What is wrong with me? Should I be concerned? Any advice? I am getting a bit worried but I can't afford to go see a doctor about it. What should I do?

I'm afraid this is all due to PCOS or polycystic ovaries syndrome, only after you were on birth control there is a good chance that the symptoms of PCOS have changed - that is why your period is lasting for this long. I know how it is to be uninsured, but the reality is that the only way to control PCOS symptoms is to be on hormonal treatment, like BC pills. I think that you will have to look everywhere you can to find some help and support to get this problem under control.

Thanks I really appriciate you replying I was worried. I am going to go visit the family planning place to see if they can help me more :-) Thanks again

You're welcome! Hope they will be able to help you, I'm sure they are aware that you can just go on like this. Wish you the best!