My daughter was recently diagnosed with polycystic ovarys. She had blood tests, pap hormone levels tests and a ultra-sound test. Dr.'s recommends birth control pills to stop ovulation. She had app 1 year of irregular menstruation but only 3 months later she stopped having periods. She is not overweight, no acne, and nothing hurts her. Also, her levels are low normal for FSH, LH, and prolactin while estrogens level is lover than 25. I have one question: is there an alternitave to BC pills like some new therapy or even natural medications? What are your opinions about searching out alternate therapies???
Thanks for all responces

Polycystic ovary syndrome is a group of conditions which one result - failure to ovulate. As far as I know, treatment usually by a medication that should make the woman ovulate. There are several such medications on the market, and you need prescription for them. There are also several alternative natural cures, but they use same affect, so I don’t know weather they could be more helpful or not. Anyway, I think that you should speak to fertility specialist – he should be able to prescribe you best possible therapy for your case. Good luck.

I am a 21 year old female that recently went to the gyn doctor and she told me that I might have polysistic ovarion. I want to know how I get tested and how I get this disease or whatever it is....this was a free clinic I went to and I want to go to a paid doctor...but I am scared because I want babies and I am afraid I wont be able to...if you could please help that would be great. If you have any info about htis please write thanks

Hello angel_eyes! As you are still not sure whether you have the disease, here are some of the symptoms, so you can compare them with your current health situation. These are the possible symptoms of polycystic ovarian: irregular menstrual periods, increased growth of hair on the face, chest, stomach, back, thumbs, or toes, acne, oily skin, or dandruff, pelvic pain, weight gain usually around the waist, type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, patches of dark skin, and sleep apnea, which is night snoring and breathing problems while sleeping.
It is still not know how women get the disease. Some scientists believe it is heredity, while others link it with production of insulin.

There isn’t one special test for diagnosing polycystic ovaries. A doctor does a number of testing like an ultrasound, hormone levels, glucose, and sugar levels in the blood. S/he checks the size of ovaries ( they are larger if there are cysts in it ), goes through your medical history. When you go to the doctor, let your hairs grow, so that the doc can evaluate these areas.

There are a couple of treatments but they are not for curing the disorder but for preventing the problems. Some of the treatments are birth control pills to regulate menstruation, and decrease male hormones.
Metformin is a drug used for diabetes, and can be used in this case to affect the insulin. Fertility mediations are used when you are trying to get pregnant to stimulate the ovary to ovulate. And there is a surgery, but it is not recommended at the beginning of treatments. The surgery is done to help ovulation but the effects last for a couple of months only.

There! I hope you can find some of the info useful. If you have some other questions, feel free to ask. I hope everything goes well at the doctor’s! Good luck!!!!!

Community Administrator
Dear Angel_eyez,

Hello and welcome to the Steadyhealth!
I want to thank you for posting your question here and inform you that private emails are not allowed on forums, so I took the liberty of deleting your email from your post. The rest I left the way it was. Thank you for understanding!

Best Regards
Billy

My wife has recently been diagnosed with polycystic ovaries and she has been prescibed metformin to begin with to try and conceive. She is not overweight, her hormone levels are normal, she has no extra hair growth or acne, her periods have stopped and cysts have been found on her ovaries. I believed that metformin was used in cases when the patient was overweight and have insulin resistance which my wife is not, will metformin still help her to conceive? thanks.

Well thanks for that posted that you put up but i have alittle something called ovarian cyst.....are you familiar. Well if you are could you please send me a message at my yahoo mail it'_[removed]_. I'm 14 years old and already having problems with my ovarys. Well any body who has or had this situation can you please contact me. Thank You, your fellow friend Lisette Martinez.

i am 14 with that thing i cant spell haha and i dont know what to do could some one help me out?

For anyone wanting more information about PCOS there is a good support site http://www.soulcysters.net/index.php

I have had PCOS for 14 years. I have been on almost every medication out there. Many Doctors were unaware of how to treat this so they just told me to loose weight and my periods would return. This is not true. There is alot of bad information out there, it is important to get the support and correct treatment.

i am the same age as you and have just been diagnosed with the condition.basically it means we will find it a lot harder than normal people to concieve,coz the lack of periods.That is all my doc has told me.hpe it helps hun

All of you that are young and don't have many symptoms yet.. please listen up! I am 39 and was just diagnosed with PCOS four weeks ago from my family doctor and then it was confirmed with my OBGYN two weeks ago. However, I've had it for many many years and didn't realize it. Maybe since I was a teenager.

I had always been 110-120 pounds until I turned about 35. I started to gain weight very rapidly for no apparent reason. I also started getting acne and just bad skin and couldn't control it. At times during workout my feet and calves would go numb. My periods changed... very heavy and clotting first day and VERY tired. But then would only last 3 days.
Previously if I shaved my legs, I wouldn't have to for 3-4 days. All of a sudden 3-4 hours after I shaved I could feel stubble.

I first went to the doctor about 4 months after rapid weight gain. This was difficult for me in the first place, because I don't trust doctors very much. And I had good reason... the Doctor scolded me like I was a naughty child. She said it's normal for "middle age spread" and that I will have to start working out a lot more. She kept telling me that it was all normal and that's what happens when you age. I talked her into giving me a diabetes and thyroid test. Both came back fine. I had no idea that these symptoms could actually be LINKED? It just seemed so strange to me.
I went back to her a few months later and she said that I must still not be working out enough or eating right and basically it was my own fault. I walked out of there in tears and swore I would never go back to a Dr. again unless it was life-threatening.

Fast forward four years.... I couldn't take it anymore... there were times were I was working out faithfully for 4 weeks straight, watched my food intake and still gaining 5 pounds a week Faithfully! Never could I lose one pound, it just went up no matter what!!! What I really noticed was that I was gaining weight everywhere but so much in my belly, very strange even when I'd hit the high end of weight for me in the past which was like 125 or so.. my belly was always flat or close. I'd just gain it in my butt or hips. So, very odd. I finally put all my symptoms together on one paper , went to the doctor (new one) handed it to him and withing 1.5 seconds, he said that's POCS. huh? what's that? I followed up with my obgyn had tests done... BINGO!! I am happy we found it but SOOOOOOOOOO upset at the same time! Just think how easily it could've been dealt with four years ago and only up 30 - 40 pounds!
I found out that both of my doctors think that it's hereditary and they think I've pretty much always had it but didn't get the real side effects until I was about 35. So, girls please try to take care of it now and keep a good watch if you got diagnosed young. At any time these symptoms could just come out and shake their evil head at you! lol
I just started metformin yesterday. I will check back in and let you know how things are going.

My friend was diagnosed with it 7 years ago, she now has a beautiful 3 year old with no help from fertility specialists.

i have polycystic ovarys and your daughter is better of asking to be forwarded to a gynocologist as i did

I found out 2 years ago that i have PCOS cuz i hadnt started my period yet and at the time i was 15 yrs old so the doctors sent me off to make sure i had all the girly parts in my stomach and come to find out i did but while they was doin the ultrasound they found a huge fluid filled sack that they thought was my blader at first than they had me go to the bathroom and come back and they looked again and it was still the same size so they set me up for a CT Scan and sent it off to another doctor in Muskogee,Oklahoma and sortly after that i had surgery was supposed to be laparoscopic surgery and he ended up cuttin me open on my lower stomach *bout as long as the top of a piece of paper* after i woke up i found out that i was goin to have to stay in the hospital for 3 or more days cuz the cyst was so big it weighed as much as a preemie baby and as round as a girls basketball *it wasnt canceres tho thank god* i dont have anymore that big but they said i have little ones all over both ovaries! Some people dont have all the symptoms me i got hair everywhere my hair grows back really fast,im obese and i got brown patchs all over my neck and inbetween my boobs *they have some kind of shampoo that takes it off but it comes back within 2 days or so* and i have very high blood pressure! I dont hardly have periods ive had 3 my whole life and they've lasted 3 or 4 days when i did get them! They got me on birth control but i dont take it cause the 2 ive tried i still didnt start after i took it! But i know that you can get pregnant even tho you have it cause my Great Grandma had it and she had 9 kids than 2 of my Cousin have it and 1 has 2 kids and one just gave birth Feburary 14th of this year but said it is very hard to get pregnant! The doctor told me he could give me medicine to help me get pregnant but i havent got it yet im goin to wait till i turn 18! It constatly gets me down tho cause im so afraid that i wont ever get pregnant and it kills me and keeps me depressed! But someone asked how you can find out you have it the way i found out was through my periods,hair growth,and the brown patches on my neck and chest and i think they can tell through a blood test but im not exactly sure! But my question is how you would know if you was pregnant and had PCOS and you hardly ever have periods? I was reading up on some stuff and it said you can ovulate without having a period! So does that mean people like me thats had only 3 could still get pregnant?

Hi, My name is sarah, I am 19 years old.
Last year i was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, after having very irregular periods and hair growth. My doctor put me on the pill called dianette which helps with my hair. But in the past few months i have been experiencing very severe mood swings and depression.
I dont want the doctor to put me on anti depresants becuase i am only 19.
I have heard that metformin can help. Should i ask my doctor about this?