Hello! Is there anybody who can explain to me how do the doctors specialists diagnose polysistic ovarian syndrome ? Thanks for your time!!!

Well, the diagnosis of polysistic ovarian syndrome is generally made on the basis of clinical signs and symptoms which are irregular or no periods, acne, obesity, and excess hair growth. The doctors may want to exclude other illnesses that have similar features, such as low thyroid hormone blood levels (hypothyroidism) or elevated levels of a milk-producing hormone (prolactin). Also, tumors of the ovary or adrenal glands can produce elevated male hormone (androgen) blood levels that cause acne or excess hair growth. There are also other laboratory tests that can be done. Serum levels of male hormones (DHEA and testosterone) may be elevated as well as levels of a hormone released by the brain (LH).

hi iam 22 and i have pos i just wondered if there is any kind of eastergen injection that we can have to help i would be greatfull of any reply

What kind of estrogen injections did you have in mind? I understood that one of the problems with polycystic ovaries is increased estrogen-among other things.

I also have polycystic ovarian. It gives me so much trouble as it hurts like crazy. I can feel the pain in my groins and it radiates on my leg. Sometimes I can’t stand it.
I think I will have to have this ovarian removed if things don’t get any better.

What did your doctor tell you?

Can someone with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (POS) or who knows tell me which if any hormone levels need to be checked for diagnosis

Thanks for your reply

Hello! I am diabetic and overweight. I started having problems with my periods and excessive acne. I went to see a gyno for my menstrual problem but I didn’t go to see a dermatologist. My gynecologist did an ultrasound on me and sent me to the endocrinologist and she ordered a blood test and I am about to do some lab testing. She told me that my gynecologist suspected polycystic ovarian syndrome. She sad that I am suspected of this condition because it is common among diabetics and obese women and it seems I have some of the symptoms.

I am going to have a blood test tomorrow and am about to see the endocrinologist again on Monday. I will ask what exactly is being tested!

Are you also suspected of suffering from this disease?

.

Its not a disease its a syndrome.

I have PCOS and my ob/gyn used blood tests and an ultrasound to make sure. On the ultasound (which was the desideing factor) I had what looked like little pearls around my overies. I have not had a period on my own in around 14 years. Some people dont have every symptom but the "ring of pearls" is a clear sign my doctor tells me.

Hi i was diagonised with with polysistic ovarian disease in Janury and Hypothyroidism as well. I had put on alot of weight over a 12 months ie 2005 I also did not get my regular periods. So when i went to my doctor she sent me for a scan which revealed the polysistic ovarian and a Free TSH test which revealed my hypothyroid. So for the Hypothyroid i was put on thyroxine tablet 50mg one a day which i take every morning. My condition has improved now over seven months... I also changed my diet to a diabetic one .. I have lost 12 kilos and got my period though not yet regularly .. Also the fatigue i felt before is now gone and i have alot more energy to work out... Only problem is my stomach weight has refused to go away .

I am now very worried abt the POD as my doctor says there is no cure really . And can only resolve once i am ready to have a baby as then i can be put on hormonal care.. I dont want to let it get that far as am 32 and not yet in a position to have kids.. Does any one know of what medical care laternative there is other than hormonal care?
Kindly advise

My 15 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with this. Any information abou this that anyone can shre with me will be appreciated. Thank You.

I have PCOS. It is not a disease, it is a syndrome. It took three doctors who didn't really know much about the condition before I was refered to an ENDOCRINOLOGIST (they specialise in hormones). Blood tests to check various hormone levels and ultra sounds are required. There is the normal ultrasound and there is an internal one which is much much clearer in determining the condition of your ovaries. it is a small rod that is inserted into your vagina so that it can get as close as possible to them. I luckily have no cysts on my ovaries yet, and that is not uncommon.

PCOS can show any number of symptoms such as infertility, weight gain, acne, facial hair growth, irregular or no periods, and the route cause should be treated, not each individual symptom. Many hormones will be out of whack and they will all have to be corrected so that your body can function the way it was intended.

Please seek a second or even third opinion if you are not satisfied with the doctor. It is not yet a requirement for doctors to be educated on PCOS. One doctor told me that there was nothing that he could do unless I wanted to get pregnant then he could help me, or have gastric banding to loose weight which would cure the PCOS! THIS IS UNTRUE!!! There are several ways of treating it and it can not be cured by weight loss! If a doctor tells you this, go see another one! It is your health and fertility on the line, do not take this lightly!

I hope I have helped a few people.

Iam now 34 yrs old and lost my ovaries and uterus. I continue to have facial hair, masive weight gain, and I excercise everyday watch my count in food, im on hormone therapy, still have a decrease in my sex drive, i get depressed because of my weight, i have been tested but my level they say normal. I dont understand. The doctors says that one of my daughters are now on metformen and the other one on levothyroxine. My kids also struggle with weight gain. they can look at food and gain weight like I do. I need some advice? I need Help? Thank you for listening.

Hi,I discoverd today from my doctor that i have two cists one on both sides. My husband and i have been trying to get pregnant for almost a year which is becoming very frustrating .My doctor told me to see him when i want to get pregnant . Does anybody know what he will give me or do in order to concieve a baby.Please help me where going out of our minds trying to find out a solution.thankyou and good luck to all.

Hi, my name is La Toya and I am 26 years old but was told I had POS when I was 21 years old.... I found out I was pregnant with my daughter and in the past I had no problems with weight. I weighed about 115 to 120 and had no facial hair or ever had problems with acne. 6 months after having my daughter I notice skipping my cycle and having lower abdomen pain and gaining alot of weight even when I was active and hardly ate. I started not only getting facial hair but body hair as well... I get some acne but not so much..... I have had 2 miscarriages because of this problem and I am afraid that I will never have anymore children because of this syndrom..... I am taking the drug called Metformin and it is one of those pills that make you sick at your stomach all the time as well as diarrhea and hardly can keep anything down but I hope they soon come up with a way to beat this.......

hi
i have just been diagnosed with p.o.s 2 days ago and iam really worried that i cant have children!!! is there any pepole here who as got this syndrome and have had kids on there own??? i cant stop crying and need someone to talk to who as this and knows about it!! %-) thankyou!!!