I have pelvic pain on the left side, all the time. I suffer from depression, skin break outs, irregular periods and I know from before that my ovaries are polycystic. My doctor thinks that I might be suffering from PCOS. What means PCOS? Are those PCOS symptoms that I have?

PCOS is a short for polycystic ovary syndrome. It is actually hormone imbalance that interferes with ovulation. Very often, women with PCOS don’t have normal menstrual cycles, and it also affect metabolic and cardiovascular system. It means that you have small cysts on your ovaries, but again there are women with no polycystic ovaries, but have symptoms of syndrome. The cause of PCOS is not well known, but it may be something genetically.

PCOS is often treated (not cured) with Metformin. As in my case. This can help get periods on a normal schedule. PCOS can make it difficult to become pregnant.

I am 28 and have PCOS. I found out I had it a little over a year ago. I have tried every thing from metformin to birth control pills. Nothing has seemed to help. I have skipped my period for a few months then have had it for 20 + days. PCOS sucks! I wish you the best of luck and my heart goes out to you. I know how you feel and I would never wish this on anyone.

Hi, thanx for ur reply. I remember when I posted this.. I have had in the past 6 yrs a varying of periods. I remember just before I was diagnosed with PCOS that I did not have my period for 6 months.. then I had it for close to 3 months - though it was very very light. What a nightmare! I did take that junky metformin for awhile.. the crock of a doctor gave me too strong a prescription and i landed in the hospital feeling like I was having a heart attack, my heart was beating so rapidly as well. I have now been off of it for 2 years and am much better, regular period. A better diet and natural stuff from the health food store has helped me greatly! Try going all natural for 6 months ... 3 will probably give you great improvements, but 6 - will most likely help everything, including the pain! Hope all goes well with you!