I have been on ortho and now ortho tri cyclen lo for many years and it has done wonders for my skin and never failed me in the actual "birth control" department. this month i am off of it because i was short on funds and couldn't get any from planned parenthood or my school until a week after my period, which was too late. i have supplies for the next few months ready and waiting....here's my question: in this month off the pill am i very likely to pregnant if i have unprotected sex with my boyfriend at any time (and if so how good is just spermicidal gel vs a condom?)? i have heard that women who are on the pill for years usually don't ovulate the first few months they are off of it, or it takes them a while to get pregnant after using the pill. i am 24 and have been on the pill pretty much straight for the last 6 years... does anyone out there know how risky sex without a condom is in this month? at this point i'm smack in the middle of the cycle (which i know is when i should be ovulating)... i know i should just do the right thing and use a condom, i was just wondering if anyone has actual information on this kind of situation...thanks!

I've heard of women getting pregnant right away so if you don't want to risk it, use a condom. Why run the risk and get all worried?
Especially since your period may be delayed since this is the first time you've been off the Pill in 6 years. You may be lucky and get your period on schedule but you may not and you'll worry about being pregnant.

I hate condoms so I sympathize with you. But I'd go with a condom over spermicide since condoms have a higher rating (as protection against pregnancy)

And let's say you'll be a week late (just because your hormones are on their own this month) remember that your ovulation will be delayed too.

hope this helps.

hello,
i was wondering if your period was late the month that you skipped your pills? i have been on ortho tri cyclen for years as well and did not get my refills in time before i went away on vacation so i skipped the pills this month. my period was due this week (a day late now) but i did have unprotected sex (he pulled out) and so don't know if it's missing because of the sudden stop of the pills or if i'm pregnant.

the other question is, assuming if i am not pregnant, am i supposed to start a new pack of pills according to when my period would've ended (i'm a sunday starter) or wait until i do get my period and start right after that?

thank you in advance for your help!

Hi, my period is late for a week. I have already some period symptoms (breast tenderness), but period hasn't come yet. I am a stressful person, and these last 2 weeks I was little more upset. One of my friends told me to take a pregnancy test. Are there any other symptoms I should have if I was pregnant? or it's too early anyway for any more symptoms?
Thank you

If you're stressed then it's possible that you're just skipping a period because of stress, and that does happen so don't stress out. What you should do is make sure that you're always on birth control and that your sexual partners use a condom anyway just because of STDs and HIV and then you can have that peace of mind when you skip a period like this. Have you taken a pregnancy test? I think that'd be the best way to know! Keep us posted on how you're doing okay?

It's very possible to get pregnant after you've been off the pill for a month or so. In your case it might be less likely because you've been on it for so long, but I wouldn't risk it.

As for just spermicidal gel, the failure rate with typical use is 28%. I recommend using a condom along with the spermicide.