I am 22 and last night I discovered a small nump on the lobe of my ear. It is immobile and failry painful. I want to to go to the doctor but I am afarid I might make a fuss out of nothing. I think it could be a lymph node but I am scared it kight be something sinister. thanks, ria

Hi there! Do you think this is something that has just appeared or something that has been present for a while?
My friend once had a pump like that and then he squeezed it. There was a lot of blood and puss going out of it, so I wouldn’t recommend you did it.

It would be best if you visited a doctor, maybe an ENT to have it checked. It could be a sebaceous cysts or even an overgrown cartilage or something like that.

Do you have a piercing around that area?

As far as I know, there are any lymph nodes on the earlobes but there are some behind ears, so if your lump is situated right on the earlobe, then it couldn’t be a swollen lymph node.

I also have a few small, non-painful lumps on my right earlobe. I have a piercing near it, so I do not know if they are related. I don't know if I should try to squeeze it or not.

Hi there! Are your earlobe lumps changing their size? How far from the piercing are they?

Two years ago, I developed some swelling behind my piercing. It was growing really fast and it hurt. I had some white stuff coming from the piercing, so I freaked. I went to a dermatologist and found out that an abscess has formed from accumulating some fluid in the piercing. I had to change my earring because it appeared to be too heavy and thick.
I had to do some compresses with sea salt and clean it with hydrogen peroxide.

I am not saying you developed these as well, just to pay attention if these bumps start growing.

They're fairly close to the piercing, but they haven't changed in size. Nor are they painful. I experienced quite a bit of infection with the piercing the first year I had them done. Now, whenever they start to get red or sore, I use the earrings I got pierced with and I put some Neosporin on the earring before I put it in. Should I be worried that mine are also an "abcess?"

My abscess was right where my piercing was. It was in it, so I don’t think you have it then. However, it is always good to be cautious, so you can react and see a doc (a dermatologist maybe) immediately if it starts causing any trouble.

I do the same thing with my piercing if I notice that something may be wrong. And I still have some of the cleaning stuff they gave me, so I apply that.

I get those bumps all the time in my earlobe. Usually around where my piercing was. My dermotologist said it was like a cyst, but more like an inverted pimple, a pimple inside the ear. When I get one, I just step up my acne medication (pills) until it goes away. Don't dry and pop it, the puss will just spred inside your ear and it will get infected. draining might work though.

These lumps in the ear lobes are called sebaceous cysts.
If you are looking for information in lay terms, check them out on wikipedia.com.

It also has pics and can provide insights there. I live in the states and am lucky enough to have access to health care, but if you live in the UK, or somewhere that is more civilized and actually provides it's tax paying citizens with health care, why wouldn't you go to a doctor and have it treated the right way?? o.O

I have friends who have to rely on everything short of voodoo to take care of their health needs because they can't go to a doctor, :'(

So if you have any kind of access to health care, why wouldn't you go have it professionally treated??? It just seems to me like squeezing these things, and treating them with oils, sugar, bandages etc. isn't working... right?

According to the literature, it can actually make things worse. A lot worse. Just go get it fixed... if it's one of these cysts, waiting can actually cause the problem to get worse and continue to come back over and over. Good luck out there. :-D

I was referred to the internet by my MD. Mine is a sebaceous cyst and it isn't the kind that I got when I first got mine pierced. The little nodule that was right over the hole when I got my ears pierced healed up within a year and weren't painful, just hard as a rock.

This little thing I have now is really tender and fast growing. I will probably have to have it cut out if it gets worse, but we are giving antibiotics a try.

Some forums have suggested that they are caused by poor hygiene, but my MD said that's not the case. They are actually caused by a build up of sebum inside the ear lobe and can't be prevented by any amount of cleaning, so don't let anyone freak you out on that one either.

If you are lucky enough to have health insurance, I totally recommend going to see a physician again. Some are better than others too. If one tells you that you have to live with it and it keeps coming back, go somewhere else.

Also look up sebaceous cysts on Wikipedia.com and see if it is anything like what you have. You never know what you might find. Good luck! :)

hey i 2 have a lump round slight hard slipry painless(till now) mass on ear lobe(centre)

i see a doctor he told not to worry thought it is fast growing..
so keep cool..

i've just noticed i have somthing inside my right earlobe im not sure what it is though is it bad its like a small ball

Painless cyst in earlobe

I am a 22 y.o. female. I also noticed a small painless little lump in my right earlobe two days ago. I pressed it once with moderate pressure and it does not hurt at all. After reading about others' experiences, I did not aggravate it by touching it too much. The lump is closer to my face than the outer edge of the ear and is approximately 2mm in diameter, like a small pea. My earlobes are free earlobes. My skin naturally produces slightly more oil than normal, so I usually wash my face with soap when I wake up.

Some people said theirs goes away after weeks or months. Some people said that theirs grew or began to hurt a lot. I don't want to wait to see what happens so I'm going to see a doctor. Is it appropriate to see the family physician doctor or a dermatologist? I am not on any medications at all and am healthy.

I had my ears pierced when I was a baby and I am not allergic to any earrings. I have been wearing a pair of gold earrings since I was 6 years old. I keep my ears and earrings very clean. The only connection I can think of (if possible) is that I wear earphones when I'm on the computer for hours at a time.

I have stopped wearing earrings temporarily and have discontinued the use of earphones. If anyone could help me in this matter, I'd be very grateful. Hopefully, others can use this as a guide too.

i also have a lump on my ear.actually 2.one behind each of my ear hole.it feels like a ball.what is it?

oh ya n it has been there for more than 3 mths. thats why im worried.

I noticed this thred is old but I have the same problem as the last comment. I'm 15 years old and I got my ears pierced 6 months ago. The first month I cleaned it with sea salt and the piercing seemed to be healing normaly. About a month later i ran out of cleaning product and decided to switch to a different one in which my piercing shortly after started ouzing puss and got infected. When the piercing started to become more painful I got my father to check it out when he noticed a bump on each of my earlobes beside the piercing. After a couple months the bump and the piercing remained. I decided to go see a walk in clinic and when he examined the bump he immediatly told me it was a cyst. When I heard that this cyst would never completly go away I got nervous and fainted ( I have low blood pressure :P ). It's been 5 months Ive had this 'cyst' on each of my ears and its always freaked me out. It drains itself from the piercing hole and because of that my piercing has never really been able to heal. Any suggestions on getting rid of the cysts?