6 days ago i was putting out the garbage when i felt a sharp pain in my lower back. i proceeded to get into the car to drive the kids to school thats when i got this unbelievable pain shoot down by buttocks to the bottom of my foot on my left side. For the first few days i was taking it easy on the couch and taking advil and icing it. I was walking to the bathroom, but on one of those walks the pain was so excruitating that i am know afraid to go it alone without a walker. I want to see my family doctor but i can't even walk or drive to get there. Will i do any further damage by walking? I acutally can sit up on day 6 for the first time, there is still a burning down my butt and left leg and my foot on the outside is tingling. When do you think I will be able to walk to go to the Doctor.

Well is there someone who could get you to the doctor's office? You can't know if walking will do any further damage because you don't know what's causing your pain. It could be a pinched nerve or something like that. But the pain sounds really bad. Your doctor will probably give you some medications to reduce inflammation. Some exercises could help as well since you'll probably need to strengthen your back muscles. Take care.

If the pain came on suddenly it sure sounds like a slipped disc. I know what the pain is like as I have lived with spinal stenosis now for 2 years and it has got to the point where I am now doing something about it. The symptoms are called Siatica as it is the sciatic nerve that is being pinched where it exits the spine. The pain is usually down one or the other leg and typical symptoms are pins and needles, areas of the leg and foot going dead, shooting pains like an electric shock, feel you have stones in your shoe, cannot walk on the flat of your foot but rock on your heel to move. Oh boy, I have had them all.

A slipped disc should be able to be put back in place. What ever you do, do not go to a snake oil salesman such as a Chiropractor, Physiotherapist or a body stress release clinic. They can make matters worse not better. See a quack and ask to see a specialist for slipped disc.

One other thing is a bed/table that stretches your spine, it is called a "Backswing". Google this with a couple of other keywords on back pain and see if this may help you.

Hope you feel better soon.