Hello-
I had 2 nerves removed from each foot 5 months ago. Following surgery my life went down the toilet. Pain pills were totally ineffective. I've been prescribed Lyrica (no relief) and for 4 weeks I've been taking Cymbalta. The pains are in both feet, ankles, lower leg are worse than ever. I'm unable to wear shoes, walk any distance, stand very long on my feet. I have to take Ambien which enables me to sleep an average of 6 hours. My podiatrist hasn't a clue to help me and my internal med doctor prescribed the Cymbalta. I lost 18 pounds in 8 days, horrific side effects. I was a 72 year old with ZERO health problems (looked 50) -- now I am desperate for any kind of relief! What do I do next? Please help! THANK YOU

I'm new here in this forum. I've seen similar posts from people who have had extended, severe pain after Morton's Neuroma surgery. My wife had her surgery on 10/29/07, about 2.5 months ago. She's pretty much at at 10 (scale of 1-10 with 10 highest in pain) every day, almost the entire day.

We've tried the following which provided no relief:
pain medication - vicodine, percostat, etc.
other medication - gabepentin (on it for about 1 month at high dose), antidepressants, etc.
local injection in the foot
morphine shot
hypnosis - didn't work
acupuncture - provides just a few hours of relief afterwards
psychological pain counseling - I think the doctors are starting to think it is in her head and that she has no tolerance for any pain
3 nerve blocks

She's had a MRI and no problems found. There has been no infection or swelling. The doctors have ruled out other forms of nerve disease, but believe that her nervous system has not stopped sending pain signals due to the nerve trauma caused by the surgery.

One more med to try - Cymbalta. Also will try physical therapy, which will use a machine that provides electric pulses. After that it's Mayo Clinic.

She had the enlarged nerve removed between the 3rd and 4th toe. The doctor made the incision from the top, and running down between the toes. There is still a very small hole between the toes which hasn't quite closed. He has indicated the surgery was very straightforward, with no problems encountered.

I've been as supportive as possible, but this problem has been a drain on both of us. She spends most of her day in bed since she is most comfortable there even though the pain still exists regardless of activity. The doctor says she can be active on the foot, but is not ready for a tennis shoe yet. She feels best in the morning, but as the day progresses the pain gets worse.

Has anyone else experienced this? Did any treatment help? Has the pain gone away? How long did it take? We're desperate for options. If anyone can respond we'd be extremely grateful.

I had the Morton's neuroma surgery and am very happy with the results. I am so sorry many of you had had trouble, but I know others who have not had any trouble and are back to their normal activities. It was about a month ago now, and I can say that I am very glad that I did it.

I'm very disturbed by the number of negative comments regarding post surgery with neuromas. I had 2 large neuromas removed from my right foot about one month ago and it has been suggested that I get another surgery on my left foot (docs have said my left foot has the largest neuromas they have ever seen). I am now reconsidering this surgery because my middle toe and the pad of my foot on my right foot remains numb. I'm wondering if this has been a similar situation for others who have had neuromas removed. If so, does the feeling in your toes return? I'm not sure if the surgeon has botched the operation or if this is the norm.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Suzanne

I had my Neurome operating in April, I am still in pain and at times severe pain so I know how you all are feeling. I am having pain levels from a 6 to 10 on difference days or nights. I am on pain pills and other medication which nothing help most of the times. I also been massage on my foot, ice on it, phy. theapy and etc. I am disablied and live with neck and black pain but my foot is masking most of my other body pains. so I like to know if this is the morn. or what else I can do with this bad foot??
Dorsey

I am scheduled to have surgery for my Neuroma in early September. I am having second thoughts after reading this web board! I have such severe boughts of pain....hot branding iron shooting up my foot, I feel I have no other choice. I wondered if your pain has in any way subsided at this point? I can't seem to find any current postings in 2009 except for yours. Your response is appreciated!

hi
i had a neuroma removed from my foot nov 24 2009. The pain before was quite bad, i used to run 6 times a week 5k each time, but towards the end i couldnt run at all.
i had the surgery.
the recovery was not that bad, i was off work 3 weeks.
i rested everyday foot in the air above the heart ect all day everyday. As this is a weight bearing operation they do say try to walk around as soon as possible, to which the second day only a few minute,s at a time with lots of rest.

i must say i have started to run again, not as often but i do run 3times weekly.
the pain has gone, but the end of my toes do hurt, but this could be the healing process.

i would say if you had the amount of pain i did, then surgery is the best option.
i am pleased.

I had a neuroma removed from between the 3rd and 4th toes on March 17. 2009. It's been a few days over a year and I still have moderate to severe foot pain everyday. I had to leave work today because it was so agonizing to stand and walk. Taking a pain pill before the pain gets to bad works sometimes. Sometimes nothing helps. I am assuming this will be something I will have to deal with for rest of my life, I will be 30 May 5th.

I was one that decided not to buy into all the negative about the surgery and go for it! I am now one of the few to add to the sad list. THOUGH I STILL HAVE HOPE!!!! I had the surgery on Feb 4th. I bruised really badly. My doc was surprised by how badly I turned black and blue. He is an excellent DOC and has had many successes with this surgery. Leave it to me to be the SPECIAL one. Since I bruised so bad I could not walk on it as soon as they would have liked. So I was on crutches, icing, etc. Long story short, they think it opened me up for scar tissue to grow. I now am in physical therapy as they try to get rid of the new pain I have on the pad of my foot. They are very perplexed as it is not usual symptoms of botched surgery. So what is it? Its pain I never had before the surgery. Is it capsulitis in the joint brought on by the surgery? Is it just scar tissue? Is it a stump neuroma? I am very sad. It s 7 weeks and so many people are usually healed weeks ago. I wanted to be one of them! I will update as I learn more. But I am trying to be HOPEFUL!

I had mortons neuorma surgery to left foot in january 2009 & right foot in may 2009, I know the numbness is to be expected, for ever. The problem I have is that I cannot walk very far, am in constant pain and the balls of my feet swell up if i stand or move about on them for too long! I have to take pain killers daily & I now feel like I am disabled! In the mornings i cannot put the outsides of the balls of my feet on the floor, I cannot put my full body weight onto them! It is so frustrating & wondered if anybody else has the same problems. I am unable to drive my manual car at all as my feet are so painful!!!

From the posts above it sounds like reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD) also known as complex regional pain, not all that uncommon an entity following what seems to be minor surgical procedures. While there is not a lot of supporting scientific evidence we have tried botox injections in the clinic where I work with moderate success...

hiya,

I've just read all this and am now really concerned about having surgery. I decided to go ahead as I've tried everything else and am still in discomfort. I also have a problem with my back and hip and I don't think my bad foot is helping. The surgeon wasnt' too keen to go ahead as he thought I was too young (37). I was hoping that if I have the neuroma removed I might be able to run and do Pilates pain free.
Are there and statistics anywhere to get a bigger picture on the sucess of surgery?

Fi

I had 2 neuroma's removed from my right foot June 18 of this year. I had a pretty restful summer and thought that my foot was ready for me to return to work. I teach first grade. I know that it is going to take a long time for my foot to heal internally, but I had no idea that I would be in this much pain. Something happened to my foot this past Friday. I felt something pull and pop, then a hot, burning pain shot through my foot. The ball of my foot hurts so bad that I can't even touch it. I have babied my foot since the surgery, and I am so scared that I have done something to ruin it permanently. There is also that awful "marble" feeling on the ball of my foot. I haven't been able to walk barefooted since my surgery because my foot stays swollen and sore. Did any of you experience anything like this? Maybe my foot is just still tender and I need to be more patient. It's impossible for me to stay off my feet during the day when I have 20 first graders to teach! I really don't want to go back in that hot, heavy boot unless I absolutely must. I'm going to my podiatrist tomorrow, but any suggestions you might have would be very helpful. ;-) Thanks, Marsha

Dear Dallash,
I had surgery two weeks ago and I am in excrutiating pain, I'm starting to think something went wrong. I read your letter and it moved me to hear your wife went through such pain. Hopefully she is doing better and I understand that everybody reacts differently but I am hoping that some day I will recuperate and be pain free. Could you kindly tell me how she is doing?

Respectfully,
Isabelle

Hi All-

I have had a neuroma for over a year. I started with two podiatrists and then saw an orthopedic surgeon, and now a foot specialist who is also an orthopedic surgeon. The first Podiatrist told me it should go away with a few injections. The second said one injection and that the first had not injected it in the right place. He sent me for an ultrasound which was useless. I hobbled around in pain for two months seeing both of these guys. I went to an orthopedist that I know. He did an MRI. It showed a 7 mm neuroma, he injected it and the injection lasted for 3 months. Told me to have it removed. It is my understanding that the problems that can result from neuroma surgery is when the surgery is done and there was never actually a neuroma there. The only way to tell is by an MRI and if is big enough. I was told this by the second podiatrist and the foot MD as well. It is real good if they find it on x-ray. surgery complications can result if there was not MRI , because 1) it was not there to begin with and they were looking around for it, and as I recall.......and there is trauma.. The other issue is that they do not always show on x-ray. Then there is the issue of referred pain and the actual location of the neuroma..... UGGHH

I am headed for surgery since the foot specialist I now see has told me that if the neuroma is under 5 mm, the literature has shown that that they will dissolve with a series of up to 10 cortisone injections up to 85% of the time. Mine is too big and unlikely to go away...I am in the 15% go away without surgery group. .The injections now only last up to 6 weeks. She told me I HAVE to have my foot up in the air for at least 7-10 days to prevent any complications. I am putting this off as long as possible, but feel it is inevitable . I am so sorry to hear of these bad results, and my sympathy to those still in pain.. It is truly awful to have foot pain, I do hope you can get relief and find another MD....you may also have a lawsuit issue. Please ask someone about this. I wonder how many of you had the MRI? Of course I am concerned... No surgery is fun...

To those of you not yet post-op or headed for surgery ...get an MRI first...find out how big it is....go for the injections.. Orthotics may help with a
smaller one.

Best to you all
D