My boyfriend has just been diagnosed with herniated disc. I think T2 is herniated. I am so worried about him. He is only 29 and I think that he is too young to have spine surgery. Am I right? Can a herniated disc go away by it self?

When a herniated disc occurs in the thoracic spine it can be extremely serious, luckily, they are not nearly as common as in the lumbar spine. Just because a disc has herniated does not necessarily mean that he will need to undergo surgery. The treatment of a herniated disc depends on the symptoms he is experiencing. It also depends on whether the symptoms are getting steadily worse or whether they are getting better, so if the symptoms are getting steadily worse, his doctor may be more likely to suggest surgery. If the symptoms are getting better, he may suggest watching and waiting to see if the symptoms go away. I don’t think that herniation can go by it self, but many people, who initially have problems due to a herniated disc, find that they completely resolve over several weeks or months.

I am 23 years old and have had a herniated disc in my L4-5 area. I have had surgery on this 3 times and might be looking towards my 4th. I have 2 herniated disc at this very moment but they're not causing leg pain so they're looking at doing injections into my joints and possibly nerve blocks. The surgery is serious but to be honest is not that big of a deal. I was off work for about a month and then back to normal after a few weeks of physical therapy. I know it's scary being so young and from my experience you will probably always have some type of problem or pain, but I am still physically active and do things I use to. I hope everything goes well. Good Luck!

I am 28yrs old, I have my first herniated disk when I was 16. I had survey to correct that in 1996- the pain was so bad I couldn't walk to the bathroom without anyones help. That area was L4-L5.
I had most recent surgery last June- this time I herniated L5-S1; I have to say that was the worse pain I've ever felt in my life. (I have a 3 yrd old daughter & I'll tell you I'll have 20 more kids at ONE time before I feel that pain again.)
The most recent time was alot harder because the pain was in a different area & a different kind of pain- the docs didn't want to do surgery because of the previous surgery & it was a different doctor. I lived in EXTREME pain for over 30 days. They tried the injections that never worked; I literally laid up in the bed popping high dose percot every 4 hours. It was a very very TOUGH time for me.
The only I can say is YOU DONT want things to get as bad as mine were. Sometimes the pain was so bad I didn't want to see beyond the surgery- I would cry my eyes out just to walk 10 steps to the bathroom; then would have to sit on the toilet- SCREAMING IN PAIN; I couldnt stand up the shower, I had to take baths- THEN GETTING OUT OF THE TUB was even worse !!

Regarding the comment from the 23 yr old. Although her comment may be true, IT HAS SCARED ME HALF TO DEATH!!!!!!!!! I am scheduled to have laser surgery on my L4-L5 SOON. Is this what I have to look forward to?

has anyone here have had just one surgery and was able to make a full recovery? i am dealing with a herniated disc(DDD) for about 6 months now and i am conteplating sugery. but i am scared that it will fail . any input?

I have been diagnosed with a herniated disk L5 S1 in Oct. 2008. I originally had not been able to stand up well beginning in June of 08. I have done decompression for about 15 visits 3 days/ per week with no real decrease in pain. I am currently waiting for a surgery date. It is a very hard decision and I feel that I have tried lots of things most recently an epidural with no relief. I have two children 7 and 4 and need to be functional for them and my wonderful husband. The stress that this puts on your family is insane. I am a homemaker and can't imagine what would happen if I was depended upon to work and bring home an income. But, my work at home is also important and I can't do it at the level I could before. I suggest to anyone to get 2nd and 3rd opinions from their doctors, specialists and pain doctors. I always ask the doctor.."What would you want your own daughter to do, if I was her?" This elicits and emotional and I think, true reaction from the doctor. I have found that they are more than willing to recommend a doctor that they trust and value. Get someone who does the surgery, epidural or whatever procedure that you are looking for on a daily or weekly basis. This is a very depressing time for many people and I highly suggest home visits from friends, family or church members...you need to talk to someone even if it is about the weather. This pain plays on your mind and you can't keep things straight, I know. Hang in there, I plan to until my surgery and just know that if you are having a painful, bad day, a good one is right around the corner or within minutes sometimes, get on the phone or go outside (or look) and consider how great this life is and that you are going to get better based on your research and future decisions on your health. The real goal for me personally is getting better to serve others because that for me, is what life is ALL about. I am hoping this helps someone, because it helped me to write down how I felt. ---A blonde in CA.

I am currently 19 years old, and have been living with a herneated bulging disc since I was 14. I tried physical therapy for over 2 years, and it did not seem to help me in the long run. I have also tried having a corizone shot, but this did not help either. I have learned to live with the pain the past 6 years of my life, but I'm starting to become frustrated. It hurts sometimes when I sleep, breathe, sing, don't have a back support, carry anything for a long period of time, become cold, feel stressed, and the list goes on and on. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what I should do? I feel like I'm too young to have surgery and I'm not sure if my condition is serious enough or not, but I'm so tired of living with constant day to day pain, and if it hasn't gotten better these past 6 years I doubt it ever will.

I have a herniated disk in my L4-L5 disk, I spoke with 2 surgeons who said that "my case" was treatable with physical therapy. I also have little or no disk space in my C3-C4-C5-C6-C7 which I also had surgeons tell me they were not ready to operate due to the mobility I still have in my neck. I still have occasional numbness and tingling in my arms and fingers "but I deal with it!" I had therapy last year on my neck and it was very successful, I am currently back with my physical therapist for my back and all is going great. I am very honest and will tell everyone that I b***h and complain every time I go for therapy..."IT'S NOT A PICNIC". But, I have the trust and faith in my therapist and do not "cheat" when I am told to do certain exercises. If I struggle or just have trouble understanding the proper procedure in a certain exercise, I ask questions....these exercises are not easy...my legs shake due to the balancing drills I do...but guess what...it works! My therapist has said that a herniated disk can go back to it's natural place, just because it showed up during a MRI doesn't mean it has not gone back "to where it belongs". Also, diet works wonders for anyone with lower back pain, losing 5-10 lbs. makes a world of difference in how one feels. My message to all who suffer from cervical or lumbar herniations is "never give up" on physical therapy, I wanted to in the beginning but soon noticed steady improvement which each visit

I have back pain for 5 weeks now,for carrying computers and extreme tennis. Recently I saw physical therapist. I'm doing exercise 2-3 hours and seems to get better each day. I hope this evil back pain will go away soon. It's frustrating when you can't hold your 10 month old daughter. I cried out loud 3 times already, but I convince myself that I will overcome this. My best advice for anyone is to continue with the exercise and inhale real big to relieve your pain.

Hey shamrock07 i feel your pain. I am currently 20 years old, and i too have a bulged disc. My back started to hurt in late August of 2009. I went to the doctor and was told the bad news.i dont know what to do with my life. Where and what type of job can i have, man we are just too young to have this!

I have a herniated disk in my L2 area.... it hurts like a B**** too... In 2007 I had an mri.. the doctor said I was fine. I was 17 then.. the pain got severely worse.. this year, 3 f-ing years later that same doctor looked at that mri and said something was wrong, he sent me to a spine doctor. I had another mri done, a more recent one, they compared it to the old one and said its gotten way worse and I'm lucky i'm not limping yet.. It's still not fixed, I've tried spinal decompression, physical therapy, injections, medications..... nothing has worked.. i'm 19 now... I cry myself to sleep everynight from the pain. No matter what I do nothing helps. I can't stand, sit, walk, lay.. or anything.. i don't remember what it feels like not to be in pain.. I've been in pain so long its hopeless.. I suffer depression from it..I've tried killing myself in the past, i've tried cutting hoping it would take my mind off of it.... nothing has worked... i've had doctors give up on me cause they couldn't figure it out, i've been told so many things.. my hip is outta place, its my weight.. nothing is right.. and when I finally figure it out no one will help me... everytime i make an appt with that doctor they want me to wait over 3 hours to be seen.. so i gave up on that.. its just not right.... sigh.... I don't know what to do anymore... I'm leaving it in God's hands...

you need a thoracic mri if they have not done one i went threw all that and see the surgen again cause i now find out my t8-t9 is severly hernated which is rare.

I am 23 years old. I started having symptoms for numb leg, for a lack of a better word. I pretty much cant feel temperature or pain as good as the other leg. I have tried that with packs of ice, hot or cold water stream and pinching myself with a needle just to test the difference. I have no pain, just discomfort and sometimes when I tilt my neck forward I would feel a small burn in my foot. I thought it would go away, but it did not. It slowly progressed up my leg. I went to see doctors for first time back in October 2010, then finally the bad news came to me right before this Christmas. I have a 'small disc protrusion/herniation and a swollen area right adjacent from it that is probably because of the herniation according to my doctor'. This is in the thoracic part of the spine between T3 and T4.

I am suppose to talk to neurosurgeon soon for consultation. I am not sure what they are going to say yet. I am really worried about doing a surgery. I am also worried that if I did not do a surgery this will keep getting worse. From what I keep reading online is that these disc herniation are not common in the thoracic part of the spine and that disc herniation does not go away (like fully recover) with physical therapy, chiropractor...etc.

Also, not one person, according to online, have had surgery for some sort of disc herniation anywhere and did not have any complications afterwards either in long or short term. So I am left here to live with what I have and accept farther progression or worsening of my condition or have surgery and deal with complications later. God I have not idea what to do. It seems like there is no way to fully recover...Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.