Hi everyone. I need your guidance, and advice.

About 9 years ago, I had a 3 level laminectomy done on my neck. I did great for about 1 year, than the pain came back. Over the years, it's gotten worse. To keep a long story short, I now have such severe pain in my neck, right arm, bicep, shoulder, thumb, and wrist, I'm having trouble sleeping, and functioning. Also affected my left arm, but not as often. The right arm wakes me up alnight long, severe pain, and numbess/cramping. I can't reach my right arm forward to the steering wheel to drive.

I've been under the care of an Anesthesiologist for a couple years, to help me deal with the pain. It's been a few years since I've had an MRI-which showed re-herniatiation of the 3 levels operated on, and a bad herniation below the surgery, and spondylossis above the surgery area.

I'm freaking out! I can't imagine going through another surgery. My Doc isn't pushing it, since he's not sure the end result will be good. I just don't what to do. It's getting impossible to live with, meds don't help, they can't give me epidurals because of being post surgical, phys. ther only made it worse.

Guess I'm looking for some wisdom, some support, and maybe some creative ideas? How are others doing after second surgeries? Thanks for any words of wisdom.

Have you ever consulted with a chiropractic doctor? Talk to your primary care physician for a referral. Massage therapy is a low-tech modality that may give you temporary relief from pain. At the very least, it will help you sleep better. If you receive massage therapy at a chiropractor's office, your health insurance plan may reimburse for it. Acupuncture is going mainstream in America. Many clinical studies have been conducted on its efficacy.

I did see a Chiropractor years ago, but my Primary Doctor stopped me, and won't let me go again. I also have Spina Bfida (sp?) in my back, nerve damage in my right leg. Due to this congenital issue, he feels that any manipulation, could actually break my bones. I've also tried acupuncture, with no benefit. Due to the tenderness, bones missing, and bad results of phys. therapy, they don't think massage therapy will hep...at this time. Part of what I had done in the past, was phys. therapy, that included massage.

I'm not even 50, I'm quite frustrated.

Have you tried melatonin to help you sleep better? Therapeutic chi kung (qigong)? Yoga?

It's the numbness and pain in my arms and neck that are waking me up at night. Under normal circumstances, I sleep just fine. It's just gotten so painful in the past month, especially at night. As for yoga, I've been told any exercise is out of the question because of the problems with my bones that didn't grow right.