I am struggling with what to  after surgery that removed my Morton's neuroma 2 years ago.  I was able to regain my ability to walk my three miles every day for a t least 1.5 years, but this summer started to have re-ocurring pain in that same area.  I could feel the familiar slip , pain and burning associated with it.  Went to my podiatrist who said "maybe" it was back.  Had an ultra sound and voila, it's back.  i am thinking of cryoablation for it.  Not too pleased with the thought of alcohol injections.  This is really a nerve entrapment.  anybody have any thouyghts on this?

D

I've got a similar problem after two neuromas were removed 10 months ago on my left foot. The result was massive scar tissue, 8 sessions of physical therapy where tools were used to literally press into the two scars and mash down the scars (ouch!) and electro-therapy.  I finally was able to start walking/jogging for exercise this summer, but recently had so much shooting pain the doc thinks I have grown a stump neuroma (another neuroma at the site where the nerve was severed).  The doc recommends alcohol injections, but I've read enough accounts of other's pain due to destroying soft tissues in the area of the injection.  Their result was more pain on top of existing pain.  The therapy you are talking about which freezes the nerve also has side effect causing further pain at the exact site where the injected freezing solution is placed--more tissue damage and pain.  I have not found a "cure" for this problem yet, but I'm going to be slow to figure out what to do. Part of my foot is numb and yet there are days I want to take a saw to it because I can hardly think with the pain radiating up my leg and torso to the extent it makes my body tremble.  My sense is that I may try acupuncture or acupressure, ice (that usually calms the nerves down enough to get to sleep), and continue padding up the bottom of my foot in that area (I cut parts of really soft socks and layer them so that there is a cushion in that area). I figure, at least I have a foot and can wear two shoes!

Oh....I've found that it really doesn't matter if you wear those expensive insole shoes or regular shoes.  My foot hurts the same in any shoe. Save yourself some $$ and just place padding in the area.

Hi DebBoy,

I went to my medical massage person. we discussed that this is really a nerve entrapment like a carpal tunnel type affair. She seriously manipulated my metatarsal bones and it was so much better, but I have not been as successful when I do it myself. I am afraid to have more surgery or do much of anything else. There are lots of scary scenarios.