I am 4 weeks pregnant and very happy. However, lately my happiness is overshadowed with the fact that I am anemic. Even though my doctor gave me explanation about this, I would like if you could tell me more. Can something happen to my baby?

I am sure that you have no reason to worry if your condition is monitored by your doctor. You need to relax, because worrying all the time can hurt your baby. Most women start pregnancy without sufficient stores of iron to meet their body's increased demands. You become anemic if you get to the point that you no longer have enough iron to make the hemoglobin you need. Even though it's not the only cause, iron deficiency is the most common cause of anemia. A person can also develop anemia by not getting enough folic acid or vitamin B12, losing a lot of blood or from certain diseases. Also, inherited blood disorders such as sickle cell disease can be a cause of anemia. The treatment for anemia depends on the cause and iron supplements are not always the answer. Your baby does a good job taking care of his iron needs because he'll get his share before you do, so don’t worry to much. However, if you remain anemic during the first two trimesters you're at a higher risk for having a preterm delivery or a low birth weight baby. This is something that should be taken seriously. I hope that you and your baby will be ok. Good luck.