I was really worry when I found out I had pseudoseizures. I couldn’t stop asking myself how I could do this to my own body. One doctor of mine explained to me that it’s not something that I am doing on purpose. That is simply something that my body is doing as a release from stress. I would like to know more about pseudoseizures, because I have to try to understand what happened to me.

Psudoseizures resemble epileptic seizures, where patients experience episodes of loss of consciousness. Also they experience and twitching, jerking, unusual emotional states such as intense feeling of fear of déjà vu. The episodes of pseudoseizures may last 20 minutes, but are not associated with electrical abnormalities in the brain, as is the case with epileptic seizures. It is very difficult to recognize difference between epileptic seizures and pseudoseizures, even for trained professionals. Physicians believe pseudoseizures are psychological defense mechanism induced by stress or emotional trauma. Seizures happen when patients try to avoid or forget the trauma. The earlier in the syndrome the patient is diagnosed, the better chances are for complete recovery. Diagnosing and treating of this disorder is not easy at all. Diagnosis requires continuously monitoring patient by EEG and video camera. Upon diagnosis they receive an outline for treatment offered at the U-M Health System. Usually they are treated for depression or anxiety together with pseudoseizures.

How in the world can someone recover from pseudoseizure disoder? I have had this disoder for 17 to 18 years. I am told I got it from the brain damage I have. And I have also been told there is nothing that can be done for me. I am stuck like this. So like I already said, how in the world can someone recover from this?