Lately I have found out that a seizure occurs when an abnormal electrical discharge occurs in the brain, disturbing its normal function, which is sign of epilepsy. The type of seizure that results depends on where in the brain this takes place, but this I cannot understand well. I have heard there are two main categories of seizures: generalized seizures and partial seizures. One friend of mine told me he has partial nocturnal seizure, so I need to know what that is. Can you explain this to me because now I am a little bit confused?

That is true there are two main types of epileptic seizures, generalized and partial. You should know that either nocturnal seizure tend to occur within the first few hours after going to sleep. It might happen 1-2 hours before the usual wakening time, particularly during lighter sleep. Since they occur while the person is asleep, nocturnal seizures will often go unnoticed or unreported. Features of nocturnal seizures include a witnessed focal or generalized tonic or clonic attack, waking with a bitten tongue. If a person is known to have nocturnal seizures, the bedroom should be furnished appropriately, for example keep heavy furniture with sharp corners, such as bedside lockers, away from the bed. Complex partial seizures usually originate in the temporal lobes of the brain, in most cases. They are non-convulsive in nature, and they differ from simple partial seizures because they produce impaired or altered consciousness. Partial nocturnal seizures often begin with a simple partial seizure, in which the person becomes disorientated but is still aware of what is going on around him. They may unknowingly pluck at clothing, smack their lips or wander about aimlessly, so their behavior is seen to be out of character during partial nocturnal seizures.

Hi.

I jerk all night and sleep very poorly for years now. Doctors don`t know if it`s sleep apnea related or if it`s something neurological. The thing is when I`m about to go into a deeper sleep stage, I don`t, bevcause of these sleep jerks. I`m trying to help my docrors out and myself while I wait for my next sleep srudy here. So, I found sleep sizures on Google. But it sounds too epilepsy related. I wanna know if I can rule out nocturnal seizures right away. I only jerk with a sort of electrical discharge I feel in my whole body with very vivid fast dreaming/hallucinations sometimes. I don`t hava actual convulsions or body movements that last. I wake up everytime, even if I don`t notice it like in sleep apnea. The thing is in all my sleep studies I don`t show sings of oxigen desaturations and every sleep study has shown different results. Also sleep apnea sufferers I`ve talked to don`t tell me about any sleep jerks. My current doctor doesn`t even know if I have sleep apnea. I had two dead uncles that both had epilepsy. I know I don`t have it, but I just read on the web you can have it during your sleep and not during day time. Could I have sleep seizures? Is it worth to talk to a neurologist about this? What tests are there to diagnose this? If it`s just sleep jerks, is this a disorder too? Does it have anything to do with REM disorder. I notice I have these dreams immediately even before I fall asleep? Could this be anxiety and sleep deprived related? Thanks, I know this is many questions but I`d appreciate any help.

John Serrano.

does anyone have any knowledge of the cause behind nocturnal seizures that aren't epileptic? I was diagnosed with Nocturnal Generalized Seizure Disorder when I was a teenager, some time ago. "Nocturnal" meaning at night and "generalized" meaning people usually sleep at night. In nearly twenty years I have never had a seizure while awake and my doctor told me that it was highly unlikely after so much time that would change. So, has anyone else ever heard of that and/or know anyone with the same diagnosis?

Nocturnal is at night and Generalized seizures involve loss of consciousness and include absence (petit mal), myoclonic, clonic, tonic, tonic-clonic (grand mal), and atonic seizures.

this hit my seizures right on the head...I do not have epilepsy.. I started having seizures when my twin sister passed away at the young age of 32..not sure if the shock of her death triggered them..iv had every test done by my doctor,from an EEG ,two MRI'
S and checked the blood flow from my heart to my brain to make sure my brain was getting enough oxygen..all test came back normal,except the EEG showing I do have seizure activity on the brain..my seizures consisted of falling asleep within 2 hours of being asleep I would get up and walk around my house,my husband would follow me to make sure I wasn't getting hurt,within a few minutes I would go back to bed,always my left arm would extend all the way out like I was having a muscle spasum..almost all the material I can find on the internet to try to learn about whats going on with me is for eplipsy.my doctor put me on vimpat and oxcarbazepine,but still having mild seizures,meaning not as often.i also have migraines from an auto accident in 1993,i was rear ended and my head hit the back window of my chevy truck,could this have something to do with having my seizures..looking for any advice on hopefully not having another one...