Hello, doctors have discovered that my sister doesn’t suffer from epilepsy anymore but from psychogenic seizures or nonepileptic as they referred to them. Is there anybody who can explain the difference to me?

Hello! I am the one who also suffers from psychogenic seizures. The difference from epileptic is that they are not caused by an abnormal electrical activity in the brain but are a subconscious mental activity. These seizures are usually detected by Video-EEG monitoring but it is still hard for doctors to distinguish them from epileptic seizures. Sometimes the episodes could stop if the person learned that they are psychological. On the other hand, some people have depression or anxiety disorders but they can be treated by medications. Your sister needs to learn about this problem and you and your family can help her in this.