Can anyone tell me if this sounds familiar? I've been having strange episodes first thing upon waking where I have no balance and significant loss of strength and coordination in the arm and leg on my right side. No change in consciousness, no movements when I'm not trying to move - just very jerky when I do try to move. It lasts about 1/2 hour after waking and gradually gets better. Three days in a row, then nothing for a month. This morning I woke up and couldn't coordinate either side of my body (worse on the right), and this time it affected my face and throat: I couldn't speak, I couldn't swallow. Took two hours to clear up. I recall the night spent having alot of dreams, which I woke up from making vocalizations that I couldn't control, and grinding my teeth. My arms were all twisted up in the sheets like I'd been thrashing. Again, no change in consciousness, and eventually, after waking, it had worn off. I've been to the emergency room twice and been tested with a cat scan, an MRI, ultrasounds of my carotid arteries, and bloodwork, and all shows up "normal". There's no commom precursor to the episodes. Any ideas? Could this be a sezure disorder?

I'd talk to a sleep doctor or a neurologist.

Hi there:

I seen a neurologist for this same thing and apparently sleep seizures are very common and can last from seconds to hours. When I wake up some days I am totally confused as to date and time, I can barely walk because my calves feel seized up, my cheeks are bitten severely, my tongue is sore and I have fallen down the stairs many many times. I had an EEG of my brain and nothing showed, although I did not fall asleep during the test so there is no data when I am sleeping. I have even woken up with partial pieces of my teeth missing and the only thing I can think of is I must have ate them. The Dr. seems to think that some of my medications could be causing this so he is working with my family Dr. to find answers, which I never seem to get. When I wake up I am so friggin tired its unreal. YOu should ask for a double length EEG and see if it shows anything and go over any meds you might be taken.

that sounds exactly like me.when i wake up some mornings ,i feel like i have been fighting .my fingers ,ankles ,every joint in my boy is sore.i know i have epilepsy but i never realized that i may be having seizures while i am asleep.thank you.

I started off having episodes while awake of feeling de ja vu then spaced out and then going straight to sleep. I had an EEG,MRI and CT but all showed nothing so i thought i was going mad but as time has passed they stopped but i started to feel terrible when i woke up from sleep.

I would wake with limited memory, very sore muscles, severly bitten mouth and tongue and a feeling of being spaced out, i went to the DR and they said nothing, until one night when i shared a room with my mum and woke to find the ambulance crew in my room, I HAD JUST HAD A TONIC CLONIC SEIZURE.

After that i was listened to and was put on lamotrigine, i still get seizures now and again but only if i forget to take my meds. Before this i never knew nocturnal epilepsy existed. I still dont understand why all of the scans showed nothing, i would love to have a eeg when i'm asleep.

When I wake up after a seizure, I get up, I fall into the wall ,no feeling in one side of my body totally confused. Hands are shaking and i Can't think straight..the other day when I had one I wanted to google my chemist number but I couldn't remember the word "chemist"...it takes me a few hours to come round 100%