I have been running on roads pretty frequently since highschool but I would really like to start some track work to increase my speed. There is an all weather track at my college, but I don't believe it is open to the public. Are there tracks that are open to the public? What is the etiquette for using tracks? Thanks! Ben

By and large, most "public" schools are open to the public. Just give the school district office a call to check on the hours. Colleges and U's might have some public hours, so it wouldn't hurt to check.

Where I get on a track is the local high school. During the day while class is on or in the summer is when I find I'm able to get it to myself.

The basics for trackwork are to run counterclockwise, use the words "track" or "coming up on your left (or right, depending)", if you are going to pass someone and if you are warming up or taking it slow, use the outer lanes.

The High School tracks in our area are open for public use from dusk till dawn, except for when there are events there.

I agree with jrjo, check with the district and find out what there policy is

I just wanted to add that we have an Olympic Speed skating training rink here and I just found out that it has a track around it that is open to the public. You might have something similar out there! Good luck!

1
Most will also have a sign on the main gate about public use.

1
Ditto to that. I just drove around Baton Rouge one day looking for high schools with tracks and nearly all of the public schools have tracks that are open to the public. I think hours were posted on every track - usually they are open to the public at all times EXCEPT during school hours. And up to 5pm or so for events.

I suppose it's going to depend on the school district. In Wobegon and nearby, most schools are "closed campus", so kids have to stay in the building from 8am-3pm. And the track is open to the public then, so it's ideal for a quiet workout.
Calling the school admin office is the best way to go. That way too, you can find out who is in charge of opening the gates, because I've found it can be a low priority in summer and school holidays, so knowing exactly who to call should you get there and it's locked helps big time.

Want company?

I just found out about this now after spending my winters fighting the cold and the wind. This would have been perfect. It is maintianed at a nice 55 °F too.

I talked to the athletic director at the local high school. He said the track was fair game after 5, and on weekends. :-D Thanks everyone!

Ben