What makes a good breakfast for children in school? I don’t think that foods at schools are carefully chosen. I don’t think it even balanced. What the others think about food at schools.

One good example for breakfast would be eggs, whole grain toast with nut butter, and a piece of fruit. I don’t know really it is different from school to school, but I guess the protein and lower-starch foods will keep your child satisfied until lunch time. They should stay away from the sugary breakfast cereals, white-flour pancakes and syrup which will leave your child hungry and tired half way through the morning.

Great question. I doubt that schools are spending much time thinking about the quality of the foods that they are serving to children. This was my experience when I was a child. I remember lots of canned, heated foods drenched in preservatives.

As an adult, I've worked in Palm Beach County, FL and administered a "free lunch" program for families who couldn't afford food for their children. Free lunch also included free breakfast. I found that the meals were fairly basic. Milk, fruit, and a bread product for each child. In reality, the kids only went for the dairy and the bread, anyway. We had piles of fruit left over. I think that eating healthy must start in the home. Kids need to learn how the body works, and what it needs to work well.

Finally, as regards school lunch, you'll need to contact your local school board for information about what they choose to serve in their cafeterias, and how you can appeal for better choices. Only when the community speaks up and makes its voice know, can the system be changed.