Hi. My 5 years old son wants to learn karate. I am not sure it is good, or safe for him. I think he is too young. What do you think? Is karate good for children?

Hi. Of course it is. My both children (boy and a girl) are training karate. They are 5 and 7 years old. They love it. Nothing is safe. I think karate is good for children because they will learn how to defend themselves. They learn how to jump, kick, stuff like that. I think it is better to let your kids train karate, basketball or any other sport because they will learn how important healthy lifestyle is.

yea it is because it streches them out which really dont matter when they are little but when they get little older they will be able to do some of the stuff that some other kids cant

any sport is good for children, start them earlier as you can, that will teach them dedication and when they have that they will stay true to that sport and won't take drugs, smoking, or anything like that plus they could find some great friends which is really nice it kind of puts off the pressure of the parent not having worrying all the time. so yea anything is good , but be prepared on injuries.

I agree. I was the guardian of two boys who practiced jui-jitsu, a Brazilian form of fighting. The exercise was great for them, who normally spent the afternoon in front of the TV, or playing video games. Also, just as a pre-caution...the older boy was really into it and loved going twice a week, but the younger boy (7 at the time) tired of the sport quickly. At first, he was excited, and then he went b/c his mother paid for him to go...but he really didn't have fun. I felt bad for him, b/c he really wasn't into it but was forced to go.

yea its totally fine im 14, world champion 2nd degree blackbelt and ive been doing it for 6 years

karate is great for kids!!! especially when they are young. if your kids are attending the right school they will learn more than just kicking and punching. If the instructor is a good they will try to install good manners into your children. I am 17 and i have been in karate for about six years, even though i am older than 5 i have developed good qualities like respect, i am more confident in myself, and i have alot better of an outlook on things. But for children it will help to develop self confidence, self respect, strength physical and mental, respect, concintration, independence, it is also a good way to help with emotional stress, kicking and punching pads is a lot better of a way to get out your stress then doing things that are harmful to ones self. so before you start your children in karate you should go in and see what the instructor is about and what morals they try to live by and what they try to teach their students.

I think Karate is great for kids. They would be able to release their energy and be more quite at home. Plus if they start young they will be really good at it when they grow up. I say, sign your son up before he changes his mind. :-)

Dear Gilchrist,

I agree with the other posters. My son is 6 and I wish he'd show an interest!

Martial arts are great for children. Here's a little article that helps to explain why:

growingkids.co.uk/MartialArts.html
Best wishes

Fran

It's best that children at a young age are introduced in active sports. These activities not only promote good health but also self discipline.

Hi! I believe that karate (in any form) is very useless. The only thing they really teach you is to be aware of danger and how to prevent it, but not how to fight against it. If you were attacked by someone with a weapon...no form of karate would help you! And i also believe thats its a waste of time and money to learn about something that cant even help you!

good day!

I had a problem with the bath cosmetics, that i bought from a hypermarket. I`m from Andorra, and my daughter Maria had an alergy inducted by a bath product. I went from town to town, and no one couldn`t help my little angel :-( . I was lucky when a dr from Barcelona, Antonio Famagusta discover that the alergy is inducted by a parasite from a cosmetic company. I sue them .. but i-m to small for that mafia. Also Dr Famagusta helped me with
Now I'm scared about any food, any cosmetics what should i do ?

Just wanted to say the person who says karate is useless against someone with a weapon shows his or her ignorance. A good karate program teaches you how to quickly defend yourself against any weapon, and how to make every day objects weapons if ever faced with an emergency situation. Some people just aren't happy unless they are putting someone else down. Karate is great for the mind and body, but be sure to choose a reputable school that specializes in working with kids.

Good luck!

This is a response to the post about karate being useless:

1-Even if, as you say, the skills learned in a dojo were not at all applicable in real life situations, the training would not be useless. Karate promotes discipline, health, growth, and confidence. True karate-do is more focused onthe inside than the out.

2-There are MANY real life applications to martial training, including the Japanese way of the empty fist; the catch is that you can't go into a dojo for 2 months and expect to take out a team of thugs on the street. It takes years of steady training to learn how to use these skills on the fly. I have been training in various forms of martial arts for 6 years, and I feel like I could win in a street fight, but not by much. Really, all I have learned for practical fighting is how to throw a solid punch, how to throw a solid kick, how to take a hit, and how to stay calm and focused when my heart is racing and my adreneline is pumping. As I said, it's more about the inside than the out.

As per children: YES, martial arts training, especially karate-do or aiki-do, are GREAT for kids. It teaches them how to fight while also teaching them not to fight. The more you know, the less you should use it.

Hi,As you are interested to learn karate you may start it right now at this age because you can learn a lot by the time you grow up...You might not have the idea of what benefits you may get from learning martial arts,the main themes can be like self control,memory,fitness etc.Nowhere you could feel bad to have a start because it is very very important as a part of our life and it's very good to be a part in it.....You can find many martial arts schools but I can help you out to have a good one with an excellent trainer with plenty of experience.Want to be more tough?Then why late,just feel the difference at karate for kids[/url]

I differ in opinion here. I think that karate at the very least( and like you have mentioned yourself) helps you identify danger. When you are aware of what kind of trouble you are in, you can take steps accordingly and to the best of the situation. On the other hand if you arent even aware of what the danger is you'll just tend to waster time trying to figure out what is going on! I believe its very obviously that in such a situation wasting time could be fatal. I think karate is very helpful and that you should encourage your kid to learn to defend himself. Apart from self defence it also increases your concenration.