Hello, Is it me or is there an awful lot of woman who are asking the question "Could I be pregnant?" but the questions in regards to it are what get to me..like some of these poor woman are clueless as to how a pregnancy can happen and they are having sex, which leads to even further concern as to how much safe sex education do they have??!! I took sex ed in the 6th grade and from what I see these days,  SOME 6th graders are doing things I could have never dreamed of doing (sexually and non-sexually)not all of them!!Does anyone know if it is that schools and/or parents are dropping the ball in properly educating their kids/students about safe sex and/or sex in general?? Thanks in advance!

Good post, Opiatefreeme- I was thinking the same thing! I come on here nearly everyday and everyday there are a number of posts from women & girls asking questions about pregnancy that seem 'common sense' to me. I've answered a couple, but after seeing how many there were and how clueless their questions were; I stopped. It would take me days to give them all a decent answer and I would be repeating myself over & over.

You're in the U.S or Australia, I'm guessing (by the 6th grade reference)? I have no idea how the education system works where you are, so can't necessarily comment on the sex education of your schools. I'm in the U.K and I have an 11 year old, who has only just started being taught sex education in school. I remember a very brief introduction to it in primary school, when he was around 8 or 9, but that was it.

I think the ignorance of the posts I've read is a mixture of both: bad sex education in schools and little/wrong sex education at home. With sex education in schools, they tend to teach the biology of it, but not the emotional and psychological impact of sex. Sex is reproduction; therefore, it's classed as part of the science unit. It's taught for a few weeks and then replaced with something else. There will, no doubt, be leaflets handed out and advice on contraception (and where to get it), but that's where the 'education' ends. The sensitive stuff- the psychological side of it all- is supposedly handled by the parents.

Yet it's not. Well, not by all parents, anyway.

Controversially, I started teaching my son at a young age. As soon as he started pulling at himself and asking what it was, I started telling him about his body, how it worked and what would happen as he grew. Not only did I think it was a vital part of life to learn about his own body and how it was going to develop, but I honestly believe  that sex education early on can help if a child finds themself the victim of a sexual abuser (sickeningly!). I think ignorance creates vulnerability and to my dismay, I was proved right not so long ago.

I had a friend who believed her daughter was too young to learn about things like that. Even at the age of 9, she doesn't talk to her about sex or her body as she, herself, finds it embarrasing. Horrifically, it emerged that her daughter had been sexually abused by a close friend for many years and didn't talk out, as she didn't know that he was doing anything wrong to her. She was also embarrased and felt guilty.

Whether others agree or not, I don't think sex is a subject that should be hushed up. The good, the bad or the ugly- it should all be discussed from an early age. Whats 'Yours', whats 'Mine', whats appropriate, how it makes someone feel (emotionally & physically), what could happen (std's, pregnancy) AND what's going on when it's all happening!

Knowledge is power, after all.

I think it is a good point that you have brought up but it isn't all about the parents or schools teaching sex education. I'm young so my opinion isn't great but I thought I would just tell you my story. My mum was always quite good at the sex ed talks and told me what I needed to know about my age, I was taught sex ed at school and it wasn't just a few science lessons we also did a lot in pshe/ guidance so I was well educated. I think the reason I lost my virginity a lot earlier than I should of is because I thought I knew the consequences of not using a condom, etc. and that I understood all I needed to know to emotionally and physically to be ready but I wasn't. I had a pregnancy scare and this really messed with my emotional health so much as I was so worried. I think educating children in sex is good but may make you think you are ready for something you arent as you think you know it all.

Thank you very much both of you!! I myself have two sons..I was a 16y/o mom to my first son and I was extremely open about sex (in ALL areas) from the time he was about 6, and BOY did I catch hell for it from other people. Even so, I didn't care..I made sex a comfortable subject for him to talk about with me and in doing so, when his time came to take sex education, I had a meeting with his teacher and she told me that he was the most educated child on sex education she had ever taught! She was impressed with my approach and so was I! I am talking about I spoke to him about masterbation before he actually started it and in fact he couldn't understand why kids giggled at talking about sex, he never did! When he became sexually active as a teenager, I sent him a HUGE poster tube full of condoms to have on hand! At age 26 he finally made me a grandma (I was 42) and he was ready for it and is a wonderful father! My younger son isn't as open about it, but does talk to me about sex. I had him when I was 28 and things were so different! But my approach to sex stayed the same and he is a well educated teen about sex. Not only was I open about sex, but about anything at all they wanted to talk about! I am so very glad that I am not the only out here doing this and for those who think it is wrong can "Go to Jersey"!! Thanks a million for your replies!!

Good Post is most have been hard to talk to son's about puberty sex and masturbation for shore
good work !