I was listening to a story on NPR this morning about a school on a military base in Quantico and I wondered, are schools on bases considered private or public? If they're public, can any kid go to one, if they live near the base?

Well, there's private and then there's public and then there's not-so-public public. For instance, a firehouse is property paid for by the public. The trucks are paid for by the public. But that doesn't give the public the right to hop in the truck and drive around the block nor does it permit the public to just walk into a firehouse at any time, day or night, and plop themselves down in front of the television or go into the dormitory and sleep in one of the beds.
In your case, it's doubtful that the school on the base would be open to all students. However, there are certain conditions which may allow some/all kids to attend a school on a military base.

I think base schools are restricted to Military personel children only.

Though I know the DOD has schools all over the worlds that embassy children can also attend

They are not considered state public schools by us here at NC-DPI*. They are operated by the Federal gov't and the state really has no oversight on how they run. We just call them Federal Schools (or Base Schools). It is up to the Feds on who attends.

*NC Dept. of Public Instruction.

You have to have a military ID to use the commisary, the exchange, the gym, the golf course, the beauty parlor and it would make sense that you have to have a military ID to use the school on base. The parent who registers the child for school would need to produce orders showing they are stationed at that facility in order to enroll the child in the school.

Although this may be true at U.S. military bases in the United States, I wouldn't bet money that it holds true overseas. A military i.d. card isn't always necessary to shop, etc. Authorized government personnel - not necessarily military...someone with a GS-rating, for example - can show i.d.'s and use services overseas. I can personally vouch for that fact.

I don't know about all military....but when we were at Lackland AFB, the schools were for military only. We did not live on base...housing had a waiting list. My son went to a Public School. One day toward the end of the school year....the teacher handed me a form. Although we owned property off the base and paid school taxes like "most" other property owners.....the Air Force was to reimburse the school district for allowing my son in the school while my husband was active duty. Does that sound whack to anyone else???

On the face of it, yes. But after being very intimate with education funding mechanisms, it might not be that crazy. It really depends on the districts situation and which portion of the funding they are asking to be reimbursed. It wouldn't make sense to pay for the local portion, since your property & local slaes taxes would covor that. Did you pay any state income tax? That may be their justification for asking for payment of the state "per child" funding.

Actually, at our last base we had special needs students enrolled in the base schools who had no ties to the military whatsoever.

At McGuire, the military parents were given little/no say over what went on in the schools despite being funded so heavily by the gov't. It was still run by the local school district.

My experience has been that children attend k-6 on base if they live on base. After that they attend the nearest Jr High then High School.

We currently live on base and my son attends a school that has a large amount of base kids, but children of civillians as well.

This is a very normal state of affairs all over the US. The feds have been doing that for years. Basically, it happens when a base does NOT have a school on it and the kids attend the local school. i.e. Most bases do not have High Schools therefore the kids attend local schools, this puts a burden on the schools system to provide facilities they would normally not do. That's why the reimbursement.
To answer the original question. Schools on bases are for the dependents of people assigned and living on the base. The schools are run by the Department of Defense. The teachers are Federal employees. These DOD schools have excellent reputations.

nope. But I would say that "most" people don't pay state tax in TX :). School funding (even for the college) came from our horrendously high property tax....that's why I was a little?????

These DOD schools have excellent reputations.
And that's what the NPR thing was about, how this base school in Quantico goes out of its way to make sure its kids don't fall through the cracks. How the teachers are there every afternoon after school for extra tutoring. It was impressive.