I am in the same situation as many. I am looking for a good diet for Pancreatitis. I have the foods I should limit, but isn't there any menu ideas for the low/non-fat diet I MUST stay on.

Also, I don't understand if the Pancreas is involved in digesting and doesn't work properly. Why would we not be able to go on a low Carb diet instead of low fat? I am also trying to loose weight again and I tried the low fat before and that did not work.

One more question has anyone heard of Procrantin (or something like that) and does it work?

Thanks
Cheryl

Hi Cheryl....
Remember to do some of your own research...as I'm not sure what will affect your condition or how your pancreas will respond. I've found that my body will tell me what works and what doesn't. Foods I avoid: Alcohol of any kind, very spicy foods, too much mint, any excess fat..dressings, regular mayos, butters, oils, etc., most cheeses, chocolate (has lots of fat)(1 bag of Lindt truffles..the red ones...put me in the hospital last year for a week), caffeine, coffee and carbonated darker sodas (the lighter ones such as Sprite, 7-up didn't bother me as much. The list goes on..but mostly common sense. I read all the labels. If not sure, I'll search the internet for nutritional info for the item....or even restaurants sites. Eating out: If the restaurant doesn't list their fat grams or have it on the internet, just remember to keep the fats low...(20-30gr per day was recommended to me by my Gastro) Most restaurants will accomodate. Grilled chicken breast....steamed veggies..hold the mayo, etc. I've also found that Wendy's makes a low-fat honey mustard dressing in the pouch that I'll sometimes take with me to a restaurant. Just ask for extra in the drive thru when ordering your dry baked potato or grilled chicken sandwich. Makes a good mayo substitute or sauce for the potato too. Red Robin has teriyaki grilled chicken sandwich and will sub the fries for side salad with the best Fat Free Ranch dressing anywhere...just have them skip the cheese and mayo on the sandwich (Teriyaki sauce is fat free)Check out the website for Subway sandwiches. Probably 80% of their menu is very low in fat....I keep fat free mayo at work so I can get a sandwich anytime as a takeout (I usually get a veggie, grilled chicken or turkey) I can eat a 12" sandwich which is virtually fat free and not have any pain. There is very little to eat and McD's or Burger K..so I generally avoid, but they do have grilled chicken on their menu. (I just like Wendy's better) I've made it my mission this last year to research all my favorite foods, restaurants, etc..so if you have any questions, feel free to ask me. I'm a larger woman and if I was willing to give up my sugars, I'd probably lose a ton of weight...but I'm not willing to give up sweets yet...so I've found that most people think that when I ask for low fat, it's because I'm just large and on a diet. I've found that if I tell people ...."if I eat too much fat, I'll end up in the hospital" or "my body doesn't process fat anymore and if I have too much, I'll end up in the hospital" they're more likely to give you the lower fat item...rather than give you full fat item and lie about it. I've watched Starbucks make my Non Fat latte with whole milk rather than skim just because they didn't want to do more than 1 batch. They still denied it, so I dumped it in the trash and called their HQ. They want consumers to be diligent and satisfied. Afterall...for us..it could be the difference of another hospital stay or not...for them....it's about what happens when the bad PR gets out. They were very apologetic. I generally don't tell people it's pancreatitis unless I explain it's from an unknown cause since most will assume I'm an alcohol and write me off when I don't even drink. Just a word of advice. Thanks, Pamela (1 year on this diet has worked..but my good cholesterol has dropped to 136..too low...so I try to make all my fats...good fats..nuts, avocados, salmon oils, etc.)

HI CHERLY My name is debbie i am 47 years old and i weighed a31 when all this first started i now weigh 109 and i lost that in just a month . I was in hospital 2 weeks ago and was very sick ' but i believe i was showing signs since last july . They say its autoimune pacreatitis and the gi dr i was sent to did not say more than 2 words and ordered a test that had been done . then ordered a stomach emtying test in wich i eat a bite or 2 of some kinda egg with contrast or something to see how it emptys . I have just now felt well enough to do my own research and try to find answers and help they gave me no medicine when i left hospiyal just told me to stay on prilosec but had to get my own family dr to give me phenergan for nasea and another drug and pain medicine , I have no appitite but i eat . i'vve never cared for sweets or spicy foods and i do't drink . Any help or advice i would apppriciate as this is very scary to me looking for someone who allso needs someone to talk to . I am on facebook send me invite debbie lynn burnside and e mail address is ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use
i hope you use fb cause i rarely check my yahoo .thank you . deb

Hi Cheryl and Deb.! I had to go to the ER because of my pain and I was nauseas. I never get nauseas. So, I knew something was bad wrong. I was told it was my Pancreas. I had the pain like 10 months earlier and they took out my Gall Bladder. They said I had sandy substance in it. Well, I have the same pain. But anyway, I went to a different Primary care Dr. And he said it was from my Crestor. I've been taking Crestor since 2006. My dose has been 40mg. They dropped it one month to 5mg. and now I'm back to 40mg. Only Crestor, really worked for me with my cholesterol. Because it's hereditary that my cholesterol is high, I have to be on a Statin. So, now I'm in between Drs. Because mine left for good due to her having a Baby. And they say I have to have an Internal Medicine Dr. But, I will probably be going back to the ER soon. I'm in so much pain. I'm hoping not. I'm making a chicken vegetable soup as I write this. Any suggestions? I'm just learning about Pancreatitis. Or inflamed Pancreas. Thank you, Linda. :)