My mother has recently delivered her third child, after my sister and me. She is 40 years old. After the birth, it was discovered that her heart problems caused pulmonary edema and they kept her in the hospital. Is that condition dangerous? Should we be worried? I am really concerned but I know there is not much I can do…

Heart problems have already weakened the heart and the birth itself is another stress for her organism and that all lead to pulmonary edema. That might be a serious thing, it might obstruct the exchange of gases on alveolar level but it is regulated with certain medications that will surely include diuretics. So, it is treatable but it is not a “light” illness at all…

Hello there,

Well if you want to hear the definition, pulmonary edema is a condition caused by excess fluid in the lungs. The consequence of this is difficulty in breathing. In most cases this condition is caused because of the heart problems, and this is the same thing that has happened to your mother. Since this happened after delivery, it was treated as a medical emergency and this is why your mother has been hospitalized.

Depending on the severity of your mother’s condition is depending treatment as well. Treatment usually includes medications and supplemental oxygen.  Oxygen is usually the first step and this should easy some symptoms of your mother’s condition.  I hope that this was helpful and that your mother is going to recover from all this.