Hello! I am Mary and I am fourteen. A family with an autistic child has moved to my neighborhood. The child is always alone and has no friends at all. I plan to go and meet her since I am very interested in working with autistic children. Is there some special program fro such children or anything else that could help them to improve their condition?

Hello! Unfortunately, there is no cure for autism. Many autistic children are isolated due to their inability to interrelate which is caused by serious language delays and incapability to understand other people’s thoughts, feelings, and needs. There are programs that showed good results in teaching language, social skills, and appropriate behavior. Lessons are usually taught using repeated trials where the child is always presented with a stimulus which may be a phrase, such as “touch dog” or “give cup”. Correct responses are rewarded with hugs, kisses or watching television while incorrect responses are ignored.