Hi, my friend recently died under mysterious circumstances at the age of thirty two. He was admitted to the hospital because of the problems with his kidneys, but the doctors said that he died because of the lung failure. They mentioned some kind of pulmonary-renal syndrome as the cause of the death. I have never heard about this condition. Can you tell me something about it? I would also like to know if a person can really die from this condition.

Hi, I am very sorry about your friend. I know that you would like to blame the doctors, but there really is a condition called pulmonary-renal syndrome. It is also known as Goodposture's syndrome. This condition is a combination of glomerulonefritis which stands for kidney inflammation, and pulmonary alveolar hemorrhage. This is an autoimmune condition. It means that your friend's immune cells have produced antibodies that were attacking his own tissue. In pulmonary-renal syndrome there is one particular type of auto-antibodies that attack both kidney and alveolar cells. The reason why this is happening is not yet determined. This condition is very rare, so I guess that the doctors who treated your friend didn't spot the symptoms in time. Death due to Goodposture's syndrome occurs because of respiratory or renal failure.