Hi, my wife was diagnosed with pulmonary edema few days ago. I know it’s something about lungs and that it’s dangerous. I’m very worried about my wife, and I would appreciate some info on this matter. A friend told me that edema causes swollen feet, but my wife doesn’t have this problem. How is this possible?

Hi, pulmonary edema can be dangerous if it leads to impaired gas exchange or cause respiratory failure. It happens when heart in unable to remove fluids from the lung or because of the injury. As you probably already know, the symptoms of pulmonary edema are excessive sweating, difficulty breathing, coughing up blood and pale skin. I think that swollen feet could also be related to edema, but if your wife doesn’t have this problem, it’s a good thing, don’t worry about that. Therapy depends on the cause of edema, but it usually involves maintaining adequate oxygenation. If the cause is tissue damage, there is no causal therapies. Pulmonary edema usually appears with people who had previous cardiovascular disease. It takes several tests for diagnosing this disease, like blood tests, x-rays and physical examination.