My older brother has been suffering from heart defect since the birth. He had myocarditits when he was 11 years old, which further disturbed his heart function. His heart is far from great now and lately, his condition worsened. He developed pulmonary edema and was prescribed with diuretics for that. How soon will diuretics work for pulmonary edema?

Diuretics are actually first line of defense when it comes to dealing with pulmonary edema. They are usually given directly into the vein so that its effect might be felt literally within minutes. They will help establish a normal functioning of the respiratory system (exchange of gases in lungs). Without them, the situation might severely complicate.

Hello there benedict,

First of all I am so sorry that your brother has been struggling with all that. Heart defect is quite difficult by itself, and further complications such as pulmonary edema are more than dangerous.

Diuretics will work within few minutes, and they will help to decrease the amount of fluid from your brother’s lungs. This increased fluid will be sent out of the body through the urine. I hope that your brother will recover from this without any further complications. Keep us posted about further events, and if you have additional questions don’t hesitate to ask your brother’s doctor. He is there to explain facts to the family. I hope this was helpful and that your brother will recover.