Hello. I've had pain in the midfoot area for several years. I've tried chiropractors, physical therapists, non weight bearing, and orthotics. None of them have made a significant difference in the pain. My foot was injured when I jumped off a bunk-bed onto a tile floor while barefoot. The doctors say that the next thing to try is a fusion of the 1st tarsal metatarsal joint. I'm 19 years old. Before the injury I was an avid basketball player. If the surgery allows me to run on hard surfaces, like concrete, without pain then I would consider it a success. If there's anyone who can relate to my situation or has had a mid-foot fusion already, I would much appreciate any advice. God bless

Hi honey! I mid foot fusion especially of the metatarsal joint, you can still run around etc. You will have to where a supportive orthotic - such as a arched insert etc. And where REALLY good fitting shoes, but you should have no problems! You will probably be in a cast for about 6 weeks, then will have to have physio therapy, one of the best things after surgery and after you have the all clear, is to get one of those spa foot baths - it's like hydrotherapy! Also you put a towel on the floor put your feet on it and try to scrunch up the towel with your toes, it lenghtens and exercises your foot muscles! It takes awhile, but you will feel a WHOLE lot better!

My son has had 6 surgeries on his feet - so that is why I know about this type! Don't worry - he has a genetic illness - so you wont be having that many surgeries! :-D The only time your really have to worry about running around is if they fuse your ankle bone! So good luck and health honey! Just remember to pamper your other foot as well, because when you are in pain your other side has to take a lot of abuse!!!

Thanks! The info was very helpful. What kind of genetic illness does your son have? What do you think my chances of being able to run on concrete are?
Thanks again!

He has Ehrlos Danlos Syndrome and was born with Club Feet!

As long as you wear a good weight bearing shoe and a VERY supportive shoe, you should be fine! You will have to pamper your feet, and your feet my tire a bit more quickly than usual! But as long as you remember to stretch them out and after any physical activity use a hydrotherapy foot spa! IT's the BEST thing EVER!! You can get one in blue if you are worried about it being girly!!! XD

After your surgery ask for hydrotherapy physcial therapy! Start using foot massage techniques OK? You can start learning the right thing to do!

Definitely look into getting a good orthotic support insert, and the BEST supportive, weight bearing shoes you can get your hands on! If you go cheaper you WILL start hurting - as the shock of your foot pounding the cement, will go right through your foot and into your shin and leg! Good luck and health honey!

I too will add that a fusion will not stop you from having an active life. I had 3 joints fused from a Lis Franc injury and after 2.5 years now I am still happy I did it. The pain I had after the first repair was nothing I wanted to put up with so I decided on fusion. It will take sometime to get back to an active life style after a fusion surgery but as long as you follow your doctors instructions things should go well.

Thats right! And I'm sure you are aware too Fusion, that when the surgeon tells you everything that "MIGHT" happen, then you start wondering if you will ever walk again!!!! That's what we thought with our son, but they have to tell you the worst too! So be prepared for that too OK? They have to let you know the "perhaps" even though the odds would be less that .1% Good luck honey! And thankyou Fusion for your story!

Wow, so you had them fused that long ago and you're doing well? That's encouraging. My cousin was injured this way and I think that she also underwent the fusion surgery and is doing well as well. She was of course worried by her doctor but I was of the opinion that so long as she's walking and healthy that she should be fine. Thanks for your experience--did you have any other procedures done?

healthnfitnessguy wrote:

Fusion wrote:

The only other procedure I had done was when I first had the Lis Franc injury and they tried to fix it with just pins only. It did not work well and I ended up having arthritis and some bones started to shift again. So one year later I got the fusion done and truely wish I had the fusion done as the first procedure.

THat's good to know. Fortunately these injuries are pretty rare but if I know anyone with it (hopefully not!) I can at least advise them on how to avoid issues. Thanks for your insight!

just remember HFG, that fusion is usually the last resort! My son has been through more surgeries than I can count, and will have the ultimate fusion done by a Adult and Pediactric Surgeons, just so they can get it right for him before he turns an adult! Everyone is different - as you know - and every case is different. It depends on their activity level, their weight, their health, and the severity of the injury or deformity!

Hi I have midfoot arthritis in the joint between the big toe and the ankle (top of foot, medial) I had surgery a year ago because a huge bump had formed there from arthritis. The surgery just shaved off the bump so it was not painful to wear closed shoes. But now, the arthritis is worse and I am in pain constantly. The constant pain is more dull but sometimes it is a sharp and burning sensation, even when wearing good shoes. I have read that the next step is to do a joint fusion so the arthritis can no longer exist. I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of this or had this problem? I'm trying to decide if it is the right thing for me to do. I am 21 years old. Would it be better do just do the surgery now while I'm young, or just deal with the pain?

Hi Bambi, i was just diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. I also ave RSD. My RSD has has caused severe foot deformity. I am recommended to have a fusion of the tarsal-metatarsal joint. Reading your post I am now even more nervous about this procedure. What complications did the Ehlers Danlos cause for your son with surgery?

I had a mid foot fusion to three metatarsals ten years ago. It was not a pleasant recovery, but I can now walk again w/o pain. I was 57 at the time. Best of luck.

This is so good to hear as I am having the same thing done in February I am 60 and did 30 yrs on my feet as a pharmacist. I am a bit afraid for the recovery any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I have the same issue and am on the fence about fusion surgery but want to live without all of this pain. Who has had fusion for midfoot arthritis?