I twisted my right ankle while walking down the stairs. At first I thought it was nothing serious so I did not go to the doctor. I was resting for few days and putting ice on my leg. But then when I tried to walk for more than 5 min I experienced the same or even worse pain. After that I decided to get my ankle examined and my doctor told me that I have a lisfranc-midfoot fracture. Can you tell me something more about my condition?

One interesting fact to know is that Lisfranc injury is named by Jacques Lisfranc, a French surgeon who worked in Napoleon’s army. Lisfranc fracture occurs at the midfoot where small bones form arch on top of the foot between the ankle and the toes. From this cluster of small bones, five long metatarsal bones extend to the toes. The bones are held in place by ligaments, but there is no connective tissue holding the first and second metatarsal bone. Lisfranc- midfoot fracture is often mistaken for sprain, what is case in your self diagnosis. Lisfranc injuries are difficult to see on X-rays. If not recognized they can have serious complications such is joint degeneration. The treatment for Lisfranc injuries depends on their severity. If your bones have not been forced out of their position you will probably have to wear a cast for 6 to 8 weeks. After removing the cast, foot exercises are recommended for building up the strength in your ankle.

i've been suffering from a lisfranc injury for 2 years and 10 mos. i've undergone 4 surgeries and am currently looking a yet one more. is this common?