Hi, I am 57 years old and have severe bunions in both feet. I was a professional dancer and my podiatrist told me that I had the dangerous combination of "very strong and very flexible" feet. Meaning, I danced on them alot because they were strong, and I wanted them to be flexible and they were -- and now the soft tissue is not supporting the bones staying in place. Along with the genetic pre-dilection (my grandmothers both had bunions), and a broken metatarsal two years ago -- my feet are a mess. The surgeon I just consulted with told me that I would have to have my big toe joint fused, as well as possible another joint higher up on the foot. I am terrified of this -- I can't imagine how you can walk well at all with a fused big toe joint. My surgeon said that people walk on the side of their foot and take short steps. This sounds like signing on for being crippled... which seems like madness. The surgeon says that if I don't do it, eventually the bone will go right through the skin. I am hoping that someone out there who has had the big toe joint fused can let me know how it went, what your mobility is like, what the pain element has been.
Thanks.

I am relatively young (26) and had bunion surgery when I was even younger (21). I regret my decision every day. I had mild pain but also wanted to be able to wear shoes of my choice. I can wear even fewer shoes now!! My bunion is completely back and now that my big toe has been fused I can't wear anything with more than an inch high heel without falling over since my foot won't bend. I found out that shortly after my surgery, my doctor went out of business due to a malpractice lawsuit! I am seriously considering finding a new orthopedic surgeon and trying to correct the problem, but at this point I hate to go through all the pain of surgery again if it's only going to get worse.

As far as mobility, I have no problems at all and you cannot tell that my toe is fused when I walk. But, I notice, and am concerned that eventually putting all of my pressure on the outside of my foot is going to cause further problems down the line.

who was your doctor

I had both big toes fused when I had bunion surgery only because the surgeon told me the bunions would not come back if toes fused. I regret fusing my toes everyday. My toes rub and I get blisters if I don't wear toe spacers and I do take shelter steps because my toes do not bend. Never wore heels so that doesn't bother me. I have a very sore burning bump on top of my toe that hurts worse than my bunions before surgery. I think the fusion disable me to a point. I would not recommend a fusion. If the bunions come back so what. I was told you cannot reverse a fusion. It is permanent!! Good luck.

I had surgery for a severe bunion and crossover toe on my left foot, 4 weeks ago. The surgeon told me that unless he fused the joint in my big toe, the bunion would grow back. (He didn't specify a time frame.) He put pins in the second and third toe, but the pins "slipped," so the toes are crooked and no feeling in the toes, which is probably nerve damage which may be permanent. I am concerned because I cannot flex my foot at all or bend the big toe. The second and third toes are very crooked. I am afraid I chose the wrong surgeon for this procedure and wish I had selected one with more experience. I am afraid I may be walking with a limp the rest of my life.

I had my right toe fused and a plate put in. All I wanted was to have the bunion removed. Was told that because I had arthritis in my foot it had to be fused. The surgeon who is raved about, decided to curve my toe the right so it looked like my left foot toe (which has a bunion as well). But the toe is turned in as well. So now the nail on that toe rubs against my other toe and I have to wear a spacer all the time. Toe is also shorter than the toe next to it, so this makes it hard when walking. Walking has been had for me and it's put my hip and back out.
My surgeon said he could remove the metal and straighten the toe! so this means more surgery! Don't understand why they couldn't just remove the bunion and tha't it!

so about the spelling errors but my mind goes faster than my hands