Hi, I'm 34 years old and I have the bunions on both of my feet. They started growing when I was about 26 – 27 and I didn’t think that it was such a big deal, my mom had similar problems but she never complained about it so I thought it was in my genes to have big toes like that. I didn’t feel any pain till about 12 months ago. At first we have tried conservative therapy but it was soon clear that the surgery was inevitable. My podiatrist said that it was up to me to decide when to have the surgery. Can anyone tell me is the surgery complicated and how long does it take to recover from it?

A bunion, as you already probably know is inflammation of the hallux valgus, a condition caused by the abnormal position of the big toe (hallux). It is most common in women who are wearing high heels and tight shoes. Shoes cause tendon, muscle and bone deformities and the end result is the inflammation – the bunion. There are many ways of treating bunions, but the most effective is surgery. There are many variants of surgical procedures used to treat bunions, the procedure used depends on the severity of the bunion. Usually tendons, muscles and ligaments are being rearranged in such a way as they should be in a normal foot, also pieces of the bone and joint have to be removed to return the toe to its natural position. Surgery usually takes 1 to 1 ½ of an hour for both feet, it is done under regional anesthesia, risks and complications are the same as in any other surgery. Less than 10 % of all patients experience any complications. The recovery takes from 2 up to 6 weeks depending on the type of the surgery that is performed. I hope that I gave you some useful information. I would like to hear from you how the procedure went.

:-D

I'm 38 and I just had bunion surgery on Jan. 2nd. I put it off for YEARS.. I honestly can say it's not as bad as I thought. I'm still in the ugly boot, but my foot feels SOO much better now than all the pain I'd suffered for years! I'm glad I did it. The first couple of days after the surgery are uncomfortable, but once you go back to the doctor, probably the 6th day, your ready to run a marathon.. :-) I can't wait to get the other one done!
Good luck.

I had a bunion surgery on December 3rd 2008, just the basic one! I am still in pain and cannot wear my regular shoes not boots..I do not understand it..

WOW... I dont understand why you couldn't wear any shoes yet after your surgery on december 3rd, because you posted on feb 9th !! Its been like 5 weeks already, thats bizarre!! I just had my bunion surgery on June 4th and i'll be able to take this ugly boot off my foot by the beginning of july. Thats about 5 weeks

I had the surgery in April im still in little pain , swelling and stiffness in the big toes only can wear the runnning shoe as instructed

I've had bunions and high arches and narrow heels (UGLY feet) my entire life!! I inherited these feet from my grandma. Once, a podiatrist told me I'd better marry a podiatrist to take care of my feet ;-)

When I was younger, they tried a bunch of stuff that I hated: orthotics, toe separators, salt baths, and these elastic thingies to move the bone to normal when I slept. once I lost my parents' insurance I was on my own and now my insurance won't pay for orthotics. So, I've had to fork over more than $600 for them. Meanwhile, I HAVE NO PAIN and I've NEVER HAD PAIN. My most annoying complaint is ugliness and I'm only reminded of it when I go shoe shopping and can't wear all those cute shoes they make for women. I've read some horror stories about bunion surgery so I'm happy to see that some of you have had success.

In my case, they'd have to chop off the bunion (ouch), flatten my arch, fix my crow toes (eeww!) and somehow, widen my heel....on the other hand, my grandmother lived until age 69 and wore cute heels her whole life. Her bunions looked red and sore but she just massaged them at night. If I ever decide to go under the knife, I'll let you all know.

Greetings... o.O

I'm 18 and just got bunion surgery yesturday.... I was wondering if anyone had any advise for the heeling to move along faster. All they gave me was a walking shoe and said bed rest for the weekend. I didnt even get crutches! Should I use them at school monday (I'm still in high school and my main hallway is over a 1/2 a mile long!!)

Hi all,

I just had surgery on Oct 27th to remove my bunions on both feet. The 1st 3 days were really painful, needed help getting to the bathroom. Now i'm on day 8 and feeling much better, I have casts on both feet (not full casts, from mid foot to cover the big toe) and can manage to hobble around the house to do as little as possible. I am keeping them elevated all day mostly to help the healing along, does anyone have any advice on additional tips to speed up the healing process? I am useless on crutches so i'm pretty much house bound until i can get these things off my feet. I have a 14 month old and its very difficult to spend any time with him since there is very little i can do.

Any advice would be helpful!

Hi, I just recently had a bunionectomy in August. I had a great doctor who took very good care of me. The surgery took about 3 hrs. and it was outpatient. the first 3-5 days I was addicted to the pain killers and you need to stay on a schedule because that pain can be pretty excrutiating. I had both feet done at the same time so I had 24hr care with me. after the first couple of days you can walk on your heals but I bought knee pads and crawled everywhere lol! The recovery went very well by week 3 I was walking slowly,but surely in these hard support shoes. my doctor removed most of the bandages and stiches by week4-5, and by week 7 I was ready to go. it was week 8 when I could walk in regular flat or tennis shoes. Now in december I am back to normal I use vitamin e and maderma on my scars and im slowly working my way up to 2in heels now! I wish you the best!

I had Bunion surgery 9/8/2009 on my right foot and I had my hammer toe (pinky toe) fixed. My doctor was great and very thorough.
The first 48 hours after surgery I was in a bit of pain but the pain killers made it bearable. I have a large home and I needed help moving from room to room, taking a bath, and going to the restroom.

I kept my foot elevated above my hip and applied ice (30 mins on, 30 mins off) whenever i was awake. I had a cast on my foot and that was the first time in my 35 years of living to ever have one. I found the cast to be the most uncomfortable part of the whole thing. I kept it on for 7 days and once it was off I could get around on one foot with the help of a crutch. After 14 days my stitches were removed; after 21 days the pin was removed and i resumed exercising; after 28 days I could wear a tennis shoe but i had to get it a half size larger than I normally wear. By the end of week 6, I was wearing flats and tennis shoes but I had a minor limp since my big toe was stiff. ALSO, I WORE A TOE SEPARATOR between my first and second toes for about 6 weeks.

Today I am 3.5 months post surgery and I am about 95% recovered. Im still wearing flats but I was told by my doctor that I can wear other types of shoes but to be smart about it. If i wear a heel, keep it low and do not keep it on all day. Im fortunately to have regained most of the flexibility back in my big toe and my scars are almost unnoticeable.

Hi, I just had both of my Tailor Bunions removed 2 weeks ago and my surgeon told me that I'm recovering pretty well. I have been doing some walking since he said that I could walk, but not so much. I'm worried that I might have been walking a lot, I have been walking a few blocks, since I'm so bored at home. I also had a hammertoe on both my 5th toe removed. I actually have to return for another surgery since both of my 4th toe on both feet are crooked and are bothering both my 3rd toe. Has anyone had this type of surgery before, straightening the crooked toe? My surgeon told me that this should recover faster than the bunionectomy. Also, has anyone done a hammertoe removal before and if so, what was the result?

Thanks for your help,

I had surgery the end of January. Eight weeks with no weight bearing and no shoes. My foot feels alot better now, but it is still sore and swollen. I still can't put all my weight on my toes and I am having a hard time finding any shoes that fit. I had my toe bone broken, a titanium plate put in to hold it. Then they took a tendion for my second toe and wrapped it around the big toe. Then they shaved the bunion off. I wish I would have done both feet at the same time, but there was no way.

Actually bunions are genetic and not caused at all by high heels or tight shoes.

Hey I don't feel so bad about my feet I see you are having the same problems as me.