I have one quick question. My husband will have lumbar fusion surgery and I need to know does he need to wear a brace after surgery? Thank you.

I didn’t know about this, so I did some research for you. Here is what I found out. Patients having a decompression only typically do not need a brace, but sometimes a corset is used for a few weeks for comfort. However, patients undergoing a posterior lumbar fusion need a brace for 4- 6 months. And here is addition info that you might be interested in: If an anterior lumbar fusion is performed with INFUSE® Bone Graft and the LT-CAGE® Lumbar Tapered Fusion Device, then a light brace for 6 weeks is used, mostly to help control pain from the incision. Good luck

Hell-o! In regards to your husband needing to wear a brace after surgery, I had surgery done and I was first given a hard brace, with velcro straps you can take it off, it is hard so you stand up strait.,after a few weeks I was given a much better brace, velcro and padding alot easier to walk around in. I still wear my brace for more support, while I am sitting for a period of time. It will seem like forever but its not a very long time. Hopefully this helped. If you have anymore questions I can try to answer you. Just be patient!. Good Luck!! Everything will work out!!

I just had a lumbar fusion 9 weeks ago. Before the surgery I was fitted with a brace with velcro straps that I have to wear for at least 12 weeks post-op. While the brace it a bit bulky, I've not found it to be cumbersome - it fits nicely under an oversized sweatshirt. My brace is from the Donjoy company. Good luck on the surgery. I hope it goes as well as mine did.