hello all
I was on vacation in California and got on a trampoline and on first jump I hurt my foot. I went to urgent care next morning and the dr there was clueless. Gave me a boot and crutches and told me to stay off my foot and see a orthepedic professional when I returned home. After xrays and mri they have determined I need surgery, screws, 3 months w/o my foot touching the floor and then after 6 months removal of screws. My surgery is scheduled for Wed and today is Friday. I do not feel good about this surgery at all. It's been 3 weeks since my injury and I feel much better. I can put some weight on it. I am still wearing my boot of course because I feel protected from further injury. The swelling now is minimal as well as the pain. The last 3 days no pain meds. not even advil. I am afraid that I have been misdiagnosed and don't need surgery. I have heard that some corrective chiropractic non surgecial treatments have worked in some cases is this true or am I just pro longing the inevitable? Shouldn't I be in more pain and swelling? I am thinking of postponing my surgery to see if it gets better. Does this lisfranc injury ever heal on it's own? Lots of questions i know, appreicate any help any one can give,
Kimmy

I am the 70 year old woman who dreaded the surgery & had a second opinion only to find out that surgery is now the best treatment....had the surgery & it went well..6 weeks in cast was hard...am now able to bear weight with a walker & some pain & am going to physical therapy ...the doctor wants to remove the screws at 16-18 weeks & says his patients beg to have them removed... he did say there is an article out that favors leaving screws in for older patients...I'm all for that unless there is too much discomfort......has anyone left them in successfully?

I just had the surgery but I didn't know my foot wasn't supposed to touch the floor?? I keep it up but i do rest my heel on the floor when i'm showering or sitting for a short time. I hope I didn't ruin anything. I am one month into the surgery. I still have a ways to go. I think I want them to leave the screws in if they can.

Kimmy did you have surgery? My doc said there was a lot of damage to my joints. If I could have gotten by without the surgery now, I would have ended up getting it in a couple years... So it probably depends on how you are feeling and if you have a lot of damage.

No I have not had the surgery. I decided to try some more conservative treatment. I am seeing a chiropractor and I am feeling better. I know it is going to be a slow recovery. I did find out that I only have one millemeter seperation between my first and second metatarsal and a torn ligament. One of the reports says 2 but my dr seems to think that report was incorrect. No broken bones though! it's been 6 weeks since my accident and I am still wearing the boot and trying to stay off my foot as much as possible. The dr said I would have to wear it for at least another month. I can put some weight on it and hardly never any swelling and little pain. I am very hopeful this treatment works.

That's great if you don't need it!

Wow, not having the surgery seems to be a bad Idea to me however if your doctor says its okay and the seperation is only one centimeter and is the same as the other foot that seems to be okay, but if it's a one centimeter difference you should definitly have the surgery. I was clipped by a bicyclist coming the wrong way down a one way street, It resulted in a fractured ankle, muliple fractures in my metatarsals and a dislocation and fracture Lisfranc injury. The best thing to do is make sure they take an X-ray in which you are standing with full weight balanced evenly on both feet from above. I had the surgery one week ago and I'm feeling great, I have a ways to go in my recovery, but thankfully I am 18 and they only had to insert one screw. I hope to be completely recovered and up and running in the next three months.

I have had this surgery, just over 2 mths ago. I have two screws in my foot, and I have another 3 wks to go before they come out. What will be prognosis after the surgery to remove the screws?

i had a lisfranc fracture and i have 2 screws through the 1st metarsal joint and the 2nd. i had the surgury about 2 years ago and still have the screws in. the doctor said they can come out but, in his opinion it wasnt worth the risk of having another surgery and opinging myself up to the posibility of infections, he said the screws might break in the joint but said it probly wont be a problem, the joint will just move freely(he made it like it wasnt a big deal,but this is a scarry thought to me)im 26 years old, and a firefighter. i live a very active lifestyle, and i was jogging like 5 months after the sugery i dont have any pain and i run reguarly, and squat, and deadlift over 300 pounds reguarly. but i dont know if i want to take ths screws out. i would rather have them out but they dont really bother me so why do it. these are teh questions i wrestle with every night when trying ot go to sleep.

I DID NOT HAVE THE SURGERY!!!
I found a chiroprator to treat my foot and I am almost well. He also got me into orthodics which has done wonders. I had lots of pain in my ankles and heels before this lisfranc injury and the frequent adjustments as well as the orthodics have made my life better. I am a big fan of finding alternate forms of healing and this has been my life line. I did not ever feel good about the surgery, i know it's needed in some cases but I just never felt right about it. I am so glad i looked elsewhere. I encourage all of you sufferers to check out all your options before having any surgery.
Take of you and be well!

Kim

Hi. I had an accident crossing the road. I was diagnosed Lisfranc injury and was taken straight away to surgery. I had a compartment syndrom because of this and my foot was left opened for 3 days until swelling went down.
I had 2 wires between 1st and 2nd metatarsus.
After 8 weeks, they removed the wires and I started physio.
Now, after 8 months of the accident I can walk fine, but some pain remains. If I dont use my foot it goes stiff until I warm it up again.
Im running in the gym and doing a normal life, but still not doing any sport.

Doctor said it still needs more time to heal and arthrosis could develop in the future.

Hope this is helpful to all of you who had a similar accident or thinking if an operation is good or bad.
Keep in touch with several doctors if you have the chance and see what's the best. I couldnt choose since I was lifted from the street and went straight to surgery and I believe the diagnosis was correct.

My husband was run over by a piece of construction equipment at work back on Oct 2, 2006. His right foot/ankle/knee/ hip and lower back were injured. The foot has been the worst injury. Nothing was majorly fractured, but the dr. ordered a bone scan. The scan showed severe damage to the midfoot section. The dr. suggested that we try 6 weeks of physical therapy following 9 weeks non weight bearing and in a knee high boot. My husband is still not able to bear weight on the ball of his foot and we are now 5 months plus post surgery. We had a CAT scan done a few weeks ago and it showed fractures and damage to the midfoot joints. The dr. has suggested fusion of the 2 and 3 midfoot cunieform joints as well as the lisfranc joint. He also mentioned that they might have to take bone from his knee and use it to fill in his foot during surgery. He also said that the screws would stay in unless they bothered my husband. I am scared. We have been through so much and have not even addressed the knee and hip injuries because he has not been able to bear weight to rehabilitate them. Anything else I should know or be prepared for?

Thanks.

I had surgery 4 weeks ago. I still have 2 more weeks to go in the cast. They were able to fix mine with a cable, so I don't have to worry about having the screws removed. The surgery was horrible though and I still have a long road ahead of me.

I had the surgery this past June (07) and my doctor used both staples and a bone graft from my ankle to fuse three of the bones. I was in a hard cast for 8 weeks, then an air cast (removable) for 4 weeks. I have been without cast for 2 weeks now, and my foot is still too swollen to wear a regular shoe. So I wrap it with an ace bandage and use a post-op shoe (with the velcro). There is still some pain and stiffness, but it is slowly improving.
One thing I have noticed, and that I have not seen addressed anywhere, is that my foot is still very sensitive to the touch. The skin is hypersensitive in some areas, and simple things like putting on a sock, or putting my bare foot through a pantleg is very uncomfortable. This is another reason I wrap the foot in the ace bandage, to prevent things from rubbing against the skin. Has anyone else had this experience?? Thanks.

hey i remember reading these stories when i was still non weight bearing and really depressed, but I've had a full recovery so I though i'd share my story to give some hope. I fell about 14 feet off a balcony and fractured 2nd, 3rd, and 4th metatarsals and sprained my ankle, and fractured a lot of the smaller bones in my ankle. Anyways, i didn't have surgery but I had to wear crutches and a boot. After a few weeks i started cheating and weight bearing, despite reading that this would be really dangerous. My doctors warned me that i might never walk the same again, it would take a long time to fully heal, and that I would get arthritis which was really depressing as I'm only 20 years old. Anyways, I couldn't help myself and I kept on cheating, walking around without my boot and crutches whenever I was at home. After six weeks i completely stopped using crutches and tried wearing normal shoes. This was ridiculously painful and uncomfortable at first, but soon it got better and better. Its been six months now since I broke my foot, and it's completely back to normal. I don't have arthritis or anything. sometimes i have a dull pain in my foot but i honestly don't even notice it anymore because it's nothing compared to when my foot first broke. All is well, and it's been fine for a good few months. I broke my foot in July and by October my foot was essentially healed.