(Author's Note: Tried posting it earlier as a Guest but I don't think it worked; if it did please redirect me to my original thread - thanks!) So on Thursday (August 22) afternoon, I caught my foot in a snarelike fashion wedged in the bottom of a clothing fixture in my work's stockroom. I caught my foot (top of my foot mostly, not much ankle), couldn't extricate it in time, and pitched forward. I banged my face against the corner of a nearby desk and collapsed to the ground. I tried to stand up but the swelling had already begun and the pain was unbearable and I was unable to put any weight on it whatsoever. My left foot (one that was injured) also seemed to be a bit stuck at an odd angle which was down. I was taken to Urgent Care and when my socks were removed, bruising and swelling all around my midfoot was readily apparent and I couldn't stand for much contact on my injured foot. Non-weight bearing X-Rays were taken as a result and no broken bones were visible. That said, I got wrapped in an Ace bandage, stitched in my lip, washed up, given crutches and sent home with instructions to follow up with the local Occupational Health on Monday (one that just passed) if I still can't walk. Monday came and went; the Nurse Practioner who saw me was sympathetic and ordered for a possible re-evaluation come Friday if nothing really improves. Today is Tuesday and well... Save for swelling and a little pain reduction, nothing has really changed. Side to side and up and down movement is immensely limited and painful. Moving my toes a little is all I can do without eliciting a very strong %#*^ response. My big toe looks like it is squashed to the side of my foot against my other toes and is partly numb with pins and needles feeling. I have a few lumps in places where the bruising is at its worst (top of my foot, left side of my foot in the same circumference and right side of my foot against my instep area along the arch) and more intense pain along my instep area and arch. Rotating my foot at the heel makes me want to cry. Tried to put partial weight on foot earlier and not only did it hurt like ^%#* but the foot also just... Buckled. Like... Sort of just gave out. Sprained foot or something like it is what the Urgent Care doctor said (he was very vague) and the nurse was hopeful of the same... But I have to wonder if that is all that there is to it and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or advice to share on what to do next. This is a Worker's Comp issue so I don't know how much trouble I will have in seeing about getting a second opinion or even third opinion. Given the location of this injury and how it's currently doing, I want an MRI or CT come Friday if this doesn't improve but I don't know if they will give it to me because this is through Worker's Comp. According to my care instructions, I ought to be able to weight-bear by now but the fact of the matter is, my foot can hardly move much less be stood on! I am RICE-ing and making my crutches use as limited as possible (it also hurts like hell to un-elevate my foot) and am using the cam walker boot (non weight bearing, still) if I need to crutch around. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Dumb mobile site took out all the paragraph parsing - WTF. Going to try using full site and reposting it in an easier to read format.

==========

(Author's Note: Tried posting it earlier as a Guest but I don't think it worked; if it did please redirect me to my original thread - thanks!)

So on Thursday (August 22) afternoon, I caught my foot in a snarelike fashion wedged in the bottom of a clothing fixture in my work's stockroom. I caught my foot (top of my foot mostly, not much ankle), couldn't extricate it in time, and pitched forward.

I banged my face against the corner of a nearby desk and collapsed to the ground. I tried to stand up but the swelling had already begun and the pain was unbearable and I was unable to put any weight on it whatsoever. My left foot (one that was injured) also seemed to be a bit stuck at an odd angle which was down.

I was taken to Urgent Care and when my socks were removed, bruising and swelling all around my midfoot was readily apparent and I couldn't stand for much contact on my injured foot.

Non-weight bearing X-Rays were taken as a result and no broken bones were visible. That said, I got wrapped in an Ace bandage, stitched in my lip, washed up, given crutches and sent home with instructions to follow up with the local Occupational Health on Monday (one that just passed) if I still can't walk.

Monday came and went; the Nurse Practioner who saw me was sympathetic and ordered for a possible re-evaluation come Friday if nothing really improves.

Today is Tuesday and well... Save for swelling and a little pain reduction, nothing has really changed.

Side to side and up and down movement is immensely limited and painful.

Moving my toes a little is all I can do without eliciting a very strong %#*^ response.

My big toe looks like it is squashed to the side of my foot against my other toes and is partly numb with pins and needles feeling.

I have a few lumps in places where the bruising is at its worst (top of my foot, left side of my foot in the same circumference and right side of my foot against my instep area along the arch) and more intense pain along my instep area and arch.

Rotating my foot at the heel makes me want to cry. Tried to put partial weight on foot earlier and not only did it hurt like ^%#* but the foot also just... Buckled. Like... Sort of just gave out.

Sprained foot or something like it is what the Urgent Care doctor said (he was very vague) and the nurse was hopeful of the same... But I have to wonder if that is all that there is to it and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or advice to share on what to do next.

This is a Worker's Comp issue so I don't know how much trouble I will have in seeing about getting a second opinion or even third opinion.

Given the location of this injury and how it's currently doing, I want an MRI or CT come Friday if this doesn't improve but I don't know if they will give it to me because this is through Worker's Comp.

According to my care instructions, I ought to be able to weight-bear by now but the fact of the matter is, my foot can hardly move much less be stood on! I am RICE-ing and making my crutches use as limited as possible (it also hurts like hell to un-elevate my foot) and am using the cam walker boot (non weight bearing, still) if I need to crutch around.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Hi OnIce
Please do not weightbear on the foot or you can damage it further.
Lis franc fractures do not show up unless you are weightbearing !
Unfortunately a lot of medical staff do not know about this injury.

Make sure you tell them all your symptoms and your fears.
Good luck for your appointment and please update.

I'm 7 months since I fell down a step in Gambia of all places!
But I'm getting there slowly but surely.

Take Care.

Hi there!

Thanks for the reply!

I had my appointment and they ordered weight-bearing x-rays. The specialist wasn't in to interpret them but I got to see the films.

Compared to my non-weight bearing films I have a large gap between my first and second metatarsal.

I will be following up with the clinic after the Labor Day weekend has passed.

Hi OnIce

That sounds awfully like a lis franc injury. Just keep off the foot and no more harm will come to it.

Listen to your specialist and take all of his advise.

I had all five metatarsals broken and am now the proud owner of 2 plates, 11 screws and 2 wires.
Life is good again and am 70% back to normal.

Whatever the outcome, just hang in there.

Take Care

Medew

Hi Medew and OnIce...

OnIce: Good luck with your diagnosis .... if it is a Lisfranc then you'd be very welcome at
the LISFRANC FRACTURE CLUB on Facebook (details below)

Medew: would love to hear from you at

The CLUB is a Mutual Help and Support Group founded on
REAL-LIFE experience of recovery from Lisfranc injuries
which, thanks to its members, has now built up a great store of useful info on the subject

but above all its a meeting place which provides Lisfrancers with
Empathy and HOPE!!

This is an update on the situation:

So on the 6th, I went in for another check up and the x-rays were normal according to the doctor though it showed that I have flat feet.

With the swelling and bruising and pain still where it is (literally, the location - the V created by my first two toes to my ankle) and not getting better, the doctor suspects a possible Lisfranc.

I asked if we could check to make sure where, exactly, I took the injury and what things were damaged and she said the MRI and/or CT would be the way to go...

But with so much swelling still going on, she said my foot isn't ready for that yet because the scans will pick up the swelling more than anything else.

I'm a little nervous now.

We've hit 3 weeks and I have my next appointment later next week.

The foot still wants to swell as if nothing's gotten better and I still can't bear weight on it (the doctor allows toe touching for balance and that's it on crutches) and the bruising in that V is still quite there.

The sharp pain is gone and the ankle stiffness is better but my midfoot region is full of aches - deep aches and contusion aches - and if I forget painkillers at night, I will wake up with an ache I don't know how to describe.

Ice is my best friend and I elevate as much as I can, but ARGH!

If this weren't a work related injury, I would hop myself to an ortho specialist but I can't - not without jumping through a crapton of hoops.

Anyways, I'm just starting to feel really bummed out. :(

This came at a really bad time for me - right before a vacation I really needed which I planned out before the major work event that will follow a week later - and adding insult to injury, my records have it that I have a severe contusion of my midfoot.

A damned BRUISE (until otherwise fully investigated) is keeping me out of commission for 6-8 weeks (the doctor has projected).

GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!

AAAAARGH!!!

Hi OnIce

I'm so sorry to hear your news.
The not knowing and waiting added to the pain can get unmanageable.

I know. Six weeks after my accident I ended up on anti-depressants from my GP.
This was caused by a failed op in Gambia.
Xray equipment must have been a hundred years old!
Then the travel insurance said they wouldn't pay because we didn't notify them within 48 hours!
We had no idea of the seriousness & spent over 2 weeks there.
I ended shouting and screaming threats like a maniac on the phone to be brought home (business class)

On reaching home, I was shown my xrays. The bones were healing but attached to the wrong toes!

I can now laugh about it but it was 4 months of hell and my heart goes out to you.

Is it painful when you rest on the big toe?
Mine still bruises at the base of the big toe and across the top if I put too much pressure on it.
My physio said to take it steady and not overuse it as this is where most damage is done and can take 18 months to heal.
I was not allowed to rest on it at all until 3months after my second op.
I had to hop everywhere on a zimmer frame ( couldn't cope with crutches - so frightened of falling!

Take Care

Medew

Hi again Medew!

My heart goes out to YOU - omg what an experience to have and somewhere else other than home, too! - but I'm glad that you can laugh at the past and be beyond it.

About my big toe:

My big toe and the toe next to it are a little numb when it's at rest, to be honest, but the absolutely weird thing is, THEY HURT when I put pressure on it or on the balls of that foot. It's sharp, spiking, and then aching.

After trying very carefully to put a bit of weight on it (I was told I could toe-touch on crutches - HA!), I immediately sat back down with a loud yell and stuck my foot as high as I could while my sibling ran for ice.

The pain when trying to put pressure (and just, pain in general) on my whole foot starts at the balls of my feet/towards the toes... and travels in a V shape to my cuneiforms (I think those are the right bones?). The pain when it starts is sharp and piercing... the pain when the sharpness goes or the pain when I'm NOT putting weight on the balls is a deep ache.

Heel-touching is okay mostly though an uncomfortable pressure and ache is there. Toe-touching is a NO WAY situation.

Was this the same for you?

Also, my bruising is in a flip flop strap/V-shape across the top of my foot (pretend you're looking down at your own foot) with the worst of the bruising RIGHT over my second metatarsal and fanning out to both sides spanning part of my big toe and my third toe and YES, it's STILL THERE and it's still very tender to the touch even if it's not swollen.

After so long with partial numbness in my toes and in that V-shape (it has improved exactly ZILCH in this entire time), I'm starting to get concerned about possible nerve damage.

Was this an issue - partial numbness, tingling, pins and needles, any nerve damage/injury - you had to deal with, too?

Thanks again for all of your replies; this is a rather lonesome injury to have and though there are people who understand, it seems like so many more don't.

Another update:

I had my appointment today and after seeing that my progress hasn't really gone anywhere save for a little less swelling and after doing some exercises with my foot to pinpoint the pain, the doctor decided against another set of x-rays and ordered a referral for an MRI to have a more thorough look at the problem.

I discovered something from the foot exercises she put me through; though some of the pain is really sharp, some of it is really deep and aching... and some of it nearly makes me want to vomit - UGH. 

Hi OnIce

All your issues you mentioned were exactly the same for me.
It is quite frightening isn't it to have all this going on and not knowing why!!!!!
I don't think you can imagine it unless you have actually gone through it!
I remember screaming and wanting to vomit when my first consultant asked me to put weight on my big toe!

All those symptoms will continue for quite a while but will get better.
I still have some nerve damage but it is still improving and is certainly a lot better than my early days.

You're a big step nearer if you are having a MRI scan. Hope it is soon.
Just do not weight bear until you have your results.

Keep in touch. and take care

Margaret

Hi medew and all,

The results of my MRI (taken yesterday) came back and I just got a phone call from the doctor on call at the occupational health center and he told me that I have a fracture somewhere in my TMT/lisfranc region with significant bone bruising across my 1st to 3rd/4th metatarsals.

My next appointment is being bumped up ASAP and more than likely, I will see an orthopedic specialist also ASAP.

I'm already 6 weeks into this injury so bleghhh.

I'm so ready to be done with this.

Hi OnIce

Sorry for the delay but have just returned from a 3 week beach holiday in Lanzarote.
And I coped great!!
My main problem now is I can't wear any pretty clothes as they look silly with my Skecher trainers.
So shorts and jeans are my 'new look'.
But who cares. I am still improving slowly.
Maybe pretty sandals may be possible next year.

I know it's hard but just hang in there. Things should start moving for you now.
It will be a long hard journey and you will wonder if it will improve. There will be all sorts of strange pains and aches making you think it's not healing.
And the younger you are the easier it will be.

Please keep in touch and be patient.
My heart goes out to you.
( I sound like an old mother hen)

Take Care
Medew