Hello everyone.

My step sister was diagnosed with antisocial personality disorder. We are not that good anymore as we used to be when we were kids, but I can't say that I don't care about her anymore. True, we are far away and we almost don't have a contact anymore, but I want to help her if I can. 

So, I need to know some things about this kind of disorder. I really want to know how antisocial personality disorder is diagnosed and what are treatment options?

I am sure that doctors will tell her more about this, but I need to know as well...

Hello. I am sorry to hear this. I have this diagnose as well. It is hard when you find out that you are dealing with something like this for the first time. So, even if you are not close to her anymore, you should be there for her because we do need someone around us, we need to know that somebody is there for us as well. People with this diagnose believe that they don't need any kind of help. Anyway, people with antisocial personality disorder may not provide an accurate account of signs and symptoms and when it comes to a key factor in diagnosis usually it depends on the persons behavior with other people. With permission, family and friends may be able to provide helpful information. Trust me, medical help is needed in this case.

Yes, I think that this is how my mom find out that she has some issues. So, she started to do some researches and because her good friend is a doctor, she asked him for his opinion.

Than he told her that she really should see the doctor because it can easily be a antisocial personality disorder. It was really hard, but she could convince her to see the doctor and that is when he told her about this diagnose.

Now, they are seeking for the proper treatment and doctor mentioned that this can last a little bit longer than usual. Why?

Yes, I do understand it. In my case, doctor combined psychotherapy and medications. It helped me, I can say. Psychotherapy is very often used to treat antisocial personality disorder, and this is a kind of therapy that usually include anger and violence management, treatment for substance abuse. Also, it can include other treatments for some other mental conditions. When it comes to medications, there are no medications that is prescribed for this condition. Doctors may prescribe medications for conditions sometimes associated with antisocial personality disorder, such as anxiety or depression, or for symptoms of aggression but not for this disorder.

This disorder does more harm to people who are around your step sister than it does to herself. She is probably mean to her "friends" and to people who she spends time with, people with antisocial personality disorder don't really care much about other people. 

When it comes to diagnosis, it is usually diagnosed by a psychologist. Psychologists are in charge of both diagnosing people with anxiety disorder and for their treatment therefore I think that your sister should start seeing a psychologist. Lifestyle changes can indeed help her fight this, like starting to exercise, quitting smoking, eating healthy foods and stuff like that.

Doctors can't diagnose this, they can only redirect you to a psychologist and after one meeting with this psychologist, one or two, he should be able to determine what are you suffering from. In this case, it is an antisocial personality disorder.

And like Nina said above, these psychologists are also in charge of treating this. There are some special kind of therapies which are done in order to treat this, however, I have to say that it is really hard to treat this because you need to change someone's perspective, the way in which this person sees people and treats them.

It's a hard thing to fight and most of the people who are suffering from this disorder don't really realize it and they simply think that that is just the way they are. I have to admit that there were times when I thought that I am suffering from this disorder as well although I know that I am not because of some things, but it still made me wonder sometimes.

I do talk to a psychologist twice a month and I think that everybody in the world should be doing the same thing, it is very much useful whether or not you are suffering from anxiety.