Hey guys. My husband is having problems with a dry cough for a while. We have tried almost everything but none of this did help him. I can see that he is struggling with it and I can tell you that it is annoying to me as well. But I do know that it is not his fault. I think that visiting doctor is not a good option since we were at doctors a lot of time and nothing has changed. So, I want to ask you do you know any treatments? Can you recommend me the best treatment options for dry cough?

Hey Guest,

My sister had a persistent dry cough some time before and when she used my advice to treat it, she got better in just two or three days. Here's what you got to do: you need 2-3 tea spoons of sugar and you need some milk. You need to put sugar in a tea pot and heat it up until it melts and becomes yellow, when that happens, you poor milk inside. Keep heating it up until all the sugar dissolves in milk and then give it to your husband to drink it, he will get better in no time.

You can use apple vinegar as well, just put a couple of tea spoons of vinegar (2 to 3, more if you can handle it) in 200 ml of warm water and gargle it. That is one of the ways but I don't do that because I hate the taste of vinegar. I usually just take syrup from the pharmacy and that usually works for me. I don't know, I have to admit that a lot of people complain about how syrups aren't working for them when they use it for dry cough but it simply works for me, you can give it a try if you want.

Did your husband try with some syrup? I think that you can go to the pharmacy and ask the pharmacist for a syrup for dry cough, they should have plenty of these and they are usually very helpful. But this will just treat his dry cough and if his dry cough was caused by something more serious than just a flue or a cold, his dry cough is very likely to come back and pretty quickly, could be just a day after it stops. 

If the doctors didn't help you with this, then I guess that they didn't find out the underlying cause.

I always treat my dry cough with medications from the pharmacy because I am not allergic to any so I don't really care which medications they give me. When I have a dry cough, I just go to the pharmacy and tell them to give me something for my dry cough. Sometimes they give me some tablets, sometimes I get a syrup and I get better soon in about 90% of cases, sometimes I don't get better and then I go and talk to my doctor and he prescribes me with something else and the thing that he prescribes me with always works.

Hi there. 

I am not familiar with it, but I have heard from a lot of different people that steam inhalation moistens the airways and it is actually very good and helps relieving a sore and irritated throat. Some people told me that doctors don't offer this way of the, but whenever you have a chance ask your doctor what he or she thinks about this. When it comes to other remedies, they usually include using lozenges to soothe the throat and OTC cough syrups specifically formulated to treat a dry cough. 

So, there are so many different syrups for a dry cough. I would recommend marshmallow for this. Good luck. 

You need to tell your husband how important is to treat this situation. If he leaves a dry cough untreated, it can cause a lot of problems for him.
Generally, I think that most commonly you see a dry hacking cough which is seen in viral infections of the nose and throat. It happened to me so many times, so I really can't talk about this anymore because I think that I am a bit boring to everyone. You always have this weird feeling that something is stuck in your throat and nothing is there. Well, in this case I would recommend you to take cough syrup depending on the type of a cough. Ask someone in the pharmacy store.

Nothing is so boring and irritating like a dry cough. I just don't even remember for how long I was fighting with it. More than three or four weeks, I think...The best remedy is definitely warm salt water gargling that can help with a cough and cold. I have tried so many things and I remember that they helped me, but not totally. It seems to me like I never was able to treat my cough completely. Sure, my cough was gone for three or four days but after that - it is here again. So my friend's mom told me about this salty water thing and I have tried it. It is a cure, a very simple one. Try it and you will see what I am talking about.

I would not agree with you about salt water. It can help, but I can guarantee that this is not the best cure. And you should be very careful while you are taking it, there are so many reasons why. I think that everyone knows that warm salt water gargles do relieve an aching throat but using excessive salt while gargling and because of this, it has some side effects.  Saline water with high salt concentration draws even more water from the lining of the throat, and when you think about this, this definitely makes your throat even drier and irritated worsening an already infected throat.