Hello there,

I am here because my best friend thinks that she is suffering from depression. She is my best friend but she is driving me crazy with this and by the way, I don't really think that she is suffering from depression.

Well, I promised to her that I will find answers on the questions that she has and these are how long can depression last, and what is the best cure for it. And I know that things aren't that easy when it comes to depression, that easy and that simple, but please help me out here, I want to help my friend.

Hey Joanne. 

It is very hard to tell because depressions can vary from person to person. So, any depression lasts for three months for example.

Now, I was reading somewhere that depression, if you let it untreated, it can last for eight months. But if you have diagnosis of major depression, than this usually can last for more than eight months I think. If you let it untreated, it can become chronic and you really don't want to deal with something like that. The best cure for your depression is generally healthy life - healthy foods and exercises on the daily basis.

Good luck. 

Hi Joanne,

There are no rules when it comes to how long could depression last. There are some people who have been struggling with it for their entire lives. If you are suffering from depression, for example, only you can make it out of it. Nobody else can do it for you, people can help you, that is true, but if you are not ready to work on yourself and get over it, then nothing will be able to help you.

Tell your friend that if she is doubting that she is suffering from depression, she should visit a psychologist just to be sure.

I was suffering from depression for one entire year, Joanne.

I didn't want to get out of bed, I barely found will to get up to work. I eventually started working only half time, I am a web designer, luckily, so I could afford to do that. 

I started seeing a psychologist but this psychologist, this woman, made the things even worse for me. So I eventually decided to stop seeing her and to take my life into my own hands. It took me a while but I got better and that period is now far behind me, hopefully it will never happen again.

I see. Well, I have to admit that I honestly thought that there is a known and common period of time after which depression just kind of stops, silly me, but what  can I say, I guess I don't know much about depression after all.

I will be sure to tell her to start seeing a psychologist, at least to check if she is even suffering from depression (I told you already that I think that she is faking it or just exaggerating in order to get some attention). Well, I sure do hope that she is okay and that the psychologist will tell her that she is not suffering from depression.

Look, whatever it is and whenever she feels bad and difficult about this whole situation, she should really see the psychiatrist who will be able to help her overcome those problems. You said that she thinks. Maybe she is still not in this condition and maybe she will become depressed very soon if she leaves this alone. She needs to do something about it. You told that she is your best friend, so if she considers you as her best friends, she will be able to listen to you for sure. Try to get her out of her house, try to think about some activities that you can do together. Maybe some exercises or something like that. I am sure that this will help her before any antidepressants.

She just needs to talk to her doctor, when she tells her doctor how she feels, her doctor will give her his opinion and if he thinks it is necessary, he is going to make her an appointment with a psychologist. I honestly think that it would be best for her to talk to her doctor and then talk to a psychologist regardless of her doctor's decision, every single person in the world needs to have a personal psychologist, at least that is my opinion.

I hope that your friend is going to be okay and if it turns out that she is indeed suffering from depression, don't leave her.

Uh, that is something that no one can tell you. My depression comes and goes away, and somehow I am used on this. But I have one friend, Adam. Ever since his wife left him, he is in constant depression. Now, he is in depression for almost two years.

Sure, he don't want to go to visit his physiatrist, maybe he would be better if he did this before, but no one can tell. 

I want to tell you that you need to do something about this because depression won't go away alone. Sometimes you have that feeling that depression will never go away. 

Nobody can't tell you for how long depression can last. It is really different and people who suffer from it can be cured for month or two, while some other can be cured for more than a year.

I am dealing for depression more than 7 years. Yes, 7 years! It is a very long time, but I am seeing my doctor and he is helping me to deal with it. 

There are no rules about this, it depends what is the cause of depression and which shape of depression you are dealing with.

Good luck with it, you need to learn to live with it in any case. 

Hi. She really should talk to her doctor about this. Like others already told you, it is hard to tell what can happen and for how long depression can last. I can take my mom for example. She had low depression but she was really depressed and sometimes I believed that she thinks that depression means the end of the world. Thanks God, she is feeling much better now, but doctor told us that this depression could be much shorter if she was fighting against it. She didn't fight against it, she believed that she will never be cured. But she was cured after almost one and a half year. So, you need to stay positive, have positive thoughts and you will be just fine.

FIrst line of ttt is resolve the cause secondary you can take drugs liks ssri